Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm a plumber, so vent chutes and soffits aren't my thing. Anyway, my wife wants to bug the contractor of our new house in construction about every little thing. I've held her off for now, but she sent me these pictures today, and I wanted to get some feedback - is this bad enough for me to bug the contractor over?
I'd rather just get up there and do it myself if I could.

Attachments

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,609 Posts
Ahhhh. I know what those are. Throw him to the fishes.

·
Always Learning
8,720 Posts
I like the exhaust pipe...I assume a bath fan. No insualtion and dumping right on the roof deck...that will be a mess soon.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I think #2 looks the best, although it is a bit broken.

I put these in each and every rafter chute. I think they are not only for ventilating the attic space, but also for air flow on the underside of the sheathing. Otherwise you have direct contact between the sheathing and the insulation in that area, and I think this will give you a rotten space over time.

I have retro'd many of these and I have one coming up to do on a 24' wide ranch with a hip roof, 4/12. Needless to say, I'm not looking forward to doing it.

I am thinking maybe to just blow everything in, then rip out the soffits and go along from the outside shoving a chute up there with something on the end, then knocking the end off when it has a few staples in it towards the bottom.

Anyone else have any ideas on how to do this from the exterior after the fact? Please don't tell me to remove the roof.

·
Registered
232 Posts
It depends on your insulation application as well as whether the cosmetics is a true concern. Would I install personally to that standard, no. But will it keep fiberglass or blow in insulation from blocking the soffit, yes. If it is going to be a spray foamed, vented roof deck, then absolutely not. If you are going to bug him though, but him about the vent pipe, which I assume is venting out some type of exhaust fan.

·
Vendor
332 Posts
Way more ventilation than needed anyways. You don't need to vent every run with double width vents. 1sq ft ventilation to every 300 sq ft of attic

1 - 8 of 8 Posts