Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Dharma Building
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

My name is Craig. After twenty-five years practicing law, I decided to reform and do something productive with my life. I've been in my new business for five years, primarily doing residential and light commercial remodeling, with some new construction. I'm located in upstate New York (Binghamton). The best part of all this is that I get to associate with a much better class of people than I did as a lawyer!

Right now I'm in the process of residing and replacing windows in a 140 year old farmhouse, trying to beat the snow.

I enjoy rock climbing, cycling and golf - - more golf the older I get.
I also love northern Quebec, mostly because its the closest place I can find caribou on the menu. I wonder if restaurants in Alaska serve caribou also? What about it Florcraft?
In any event, great forum, glad I found it.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Guys run the law is after us!

LOL welcome to the board... So will you help us out of our legal situations? If so, what's your number I will call you for bail. :)

I kid! I kid!

Are you doing the work yourself or do you use subs?

·
Dharma Building
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Grumpy

Why would an innocent guy like you need bail?

I generally do the carpentry with my own crew and sub plumbing and electric, etc., depending on the job. I'm still getting mostly small jobs, so I do some plumbing and electric as well if I feel competent and the money doesn't warrant getting a sub.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
I wonder if restaurants in Alaska serve caribou also? What about it Florcraft?
Oh you bet they do. Along with a variety of Moose meals, and Reindeer meals.
Darn near everything under the Alaskan sun is edible it seems.

And don't forget fish.....:) Yum Yum

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Welcome aboard Craig, I was on my way to becoming an attorney when my father was killed in a plane crash and I had to take over his construction business. I later switched to engineering, manufacturing and then, on my own, in construction and marine services. You may notice that I blend the resources to the greatest advantage.
In retrospect, I'm very glad that I did not follow the follies of youth. Given my abilities, I would have been one h*ll of a trial attorney prior to hunc tu caveto. My Latin may be a little rusty.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Hello

Hi Craig,
Good to meet you. Yeah, there's something about building things that will outlast your lifetime..... It'll be good to have a voice here with a solid legal background.

Tim

·
Registered
5 Posts
Craig-
I just graduated from law school in NJ...while I'm saddled with debt and have little choice other than practicing for a few years, I have that itch to build...I spent my childhood on side jobs w/ my father. I would love to pick your brain regarding your transition from law to contracting. Did you make the switch outright or did you transition slowly? Did you have a prior background? If you are willing I would love to bounce some ideas off you. Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts