1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had an interesting conversation.

I've got three good do nots for managing employee's

1. Don't show attitude:
The maggots pick it up and shove it back latter.

2. Don't show financial stress.
The maggots depend on you for security, or the feeling of.

3. Don't complain about non trade task.
They forget they're maggots.:cheesygri

Anything to add?

Bob

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
1.) Show enthusiasm - it's contagious
2.) Listen - it's just plain courtesy, plus you might learn something
3.) Don't call em maggots, they may find this site :)

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
I can see Bob's classified ad now:
HELP WANTED
General home improvement maggot. Must have
enough gas money to last until payday, and be
sober more days than not. Call XXX-XXXX

·
Registered
69 Posts
Was a maggot for nearly 3.5 years, so from a maggot's point of view:

1) Don't hurry maggots.
2) Don't overwork maggots.
3) Don't 'forget' maggots -Maggots likes kind words, compliments, donuts, coffee, and once in a while, bonuses and .. leaving early on Fridays :cheesygri

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mdshunk said:
I can see Bob's classified ad now:
HELP WANTED
General home improvement maggot. Must have
enough gas money to last until payday, and be
sober more days than not. Call XXX-XXXX
That was funny:Thumbs:

Bob

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I don't agree with number #2. I believe by sharing this information, without specifics, your employees will realize you are living pay check to pay check just like them. You have the same problems they have... Now if you are on the brink of bankruptcy you might want to keep that one to yourself :)

Let me give you an example... About two weeks ago I had about 3 jobs with an hour here and an hour there of work left to be done. Then I had one customer avoiding me all together. My receiveables were somewhere around 30k, My payroll was about 10k. I went to the job site and explained to the guys that we needed to pick up the pace on the job we were on ebcause we were a day behind schedule and I had 3 jobs left to be finished so I could get paid. I then handed them their pay checks and explained I made the payroll out of my pocket because our receiveables was so big. I also explained that if I didn't get paid on those jobs soon, my mortgage check would bounce because I used my own personal savings for the payroll.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This biz goes up and down so much, if I screamed from the roof top at every close call I'd stress out the surrounding counties.

The last thing I want to do is stress out my employees.

Bob

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I don't see how that stresses them out. I truly believe it builds a bond with them.

"I am human just like you. I have problems just like you. I am going the extra mile to make sure I am fulfilling my responsibilities to you. You are an important person in my life. I put your needs above my own."

The goal is to show them I am not just some schmuck who sits in an air conditioned office and truck all day, and shows up on the job site for 30 minutes to bark orders and leave. Also I want them to know I am not making oodles and oddles of bank while I pay them workers wages. Both of my foremen make more money than I do and they know it. Also it is important for all of them to know we are a team and I value every drop of their sweat and sometimes blood.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can see your point in a sub relationship, however an employee depends on his for the feeling of security. Example: When you hear a fella say "I've got a good job" most the time he's talking about a big company. Even big companies go under, however these guys live on the security of the thought of the check.

Bob

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Exactly - the saying "never let them see you sweat" comes to mind.

If you want to be a leader you don't make your problems your employees problems, you suck it up and lead them.

#1 Nobody wants to feel their jobs could be in jeapordy because the company isn't stable.

#2 Nobody wants to listen to the boss wimper and cry about how rough he has it. Every employee knows you are getting rich while they are just getting by, (whether it is true or not that's the perception) While you are crying about having to dig into your pocket to run your company they are dealing with digging into their pockets everyday for groceries, diapers and gas.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Letting the employees see through one's financial difficulties only leads to two positive things 1) their appreciation of one's honesty, which mostly results in their understanding and perhaps trust. 2) The nullification of their instinctively envious, and perhaps vindictive, feelings commonly resulted from the thought of "boss making too much easy $$ etc."

But besides that there're also drawbacks as mentioned above, which likely easily overshadow any positive things. For, $$-wise, even one doesn't like to face one's own difficulties sometimes, simply because it's unpleasant and an unpleasant experience. Except for the wealthy, every working body is working for one thing only: i.e. $$, and, as an self-preserved instinct, everybody would want to go where the $$ is easy and abundant.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Glasshousebltr said:
Just had an interesting conversation.

I've got three good do nots for managing employee's

1. Don't show attitude:
The maggots pick it up and shove it back latter.

2. Don't show financial stress.

3. Don't complain about non trade task.
They forget they're maggots.:cheesygri

Anything to add?

Bob
Maggots are usually attracted to garbage.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Glasshousebltr said:
...2. Don't show financial stress.
THAT sir, is very, very, true.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Grumpy said:
I don't see how that stresses them out. I truly believe it builds a bond with them. "I am human just like you..."
The goal is to show them I am not just some schmuck who sits in an air conditioned office and truck all day, and shows up on the job site for 30 minutes to bark orders and leave. Also I want them to know I am not making oodles and oddles of bank while I pay them workers wages. Both of my foremen make more money than I do and they know it. Also it is important for all of them to know we are a team and I value every drop of their sweat and sometimes blood.
IMHO, laying the $$ truth on the guys cuts you two ways and should only be reserved for when potentially catastrophic financial challenges demand extraordinary measures - like across the board paycuts.

The $$ details either make the guys think that they need to find another job because the company is going under or they need to find another job because they're not being paid enough. They don't care if you're "one of them" or if you live on Mt. Olympus. They care about three things: 1. Recogntion in the form of the highest reasonable wage available 2. recognition in the form of respectful and personally satisfying human interaction 3. recognition in the form of providing them the things they need to accomplish what's expected of them. If they have those things, they have what they want. I think sharing finacial details with anyone that's not being groomed for an eventual ownership role is, at best, inappropriate.

Lastly, I think you're a bit naive if you think that your foreman BELIEVE that they are actually accumulating more wealth than you through the company's activities. Been there...know how it is.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ppmc said:
Maggots are usually attracted to garbage.
I'm not 100% sure, and it may take considerable thought later, but I think I just got called garbage.:cheesygri

Your going to have to step up a notch ppmc, if you want to even get close to some of the names I've been called.:Thumbs:

And thats leaving the ex wives out of it.

Bob

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Dead on, Pipe. Over the years, I've had some squeaky moments and the only ones that knew about it were my banker and the wife and kids (eating beanie wienies). It's great to be over the tough times.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts