Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:eek:Wagner painteater is a spinning mechanism with paint removal discs for $16. The painteater itself goes from $60 -80. Now I am sure not many of you are in the market for a painteater but I just wanted to make sure. You can buy an angle grinder for as cheap as $35. They make paint removal discs for angle grinders that are exactly the same as the 3m ones that wagner uses, but cost only about $6.00 (conviniently for Wagner they are not threaded the same and wont fit on a painteater) Even the cheapest angle grinders spin faster and remove paint quicker than the painteater. Not to mention angle grinders serve many other purposes besides removing paint.

Having said that, this method of paint removal does have its pros and cons compared to traditional methods. If you are trying to strip paint that is not loose or pealing you will have to use the edge and risk digging into the wood. However these are excellent for feathering. If you have just a few spots that need to be scraped and feathered, you can do it in minutes and the edge will be feathered perfectly.

·
House Painters Reading PA
459 Posts
:eek:Wagner painteater is a spinning mechanism with paint removal discs for $16. The painteater itself goes from $60 -80. Now I am sure not many of you are in the market for a painteater but I just wanted to make sure. You can buy an angle grinder for as cheap as $35. They make paint removal discs for angle grinders that are exactly the same as the 3m ones that wagner uses, but cost only about $6.00 (conviniently for Wagner they are not threaded the same and wont fit on a painteater) Even the cheapest angle grinders spin faster and remove paint quicker than the painteater. Not to mention angle grinders serve many other purposes besides removing paint.

Having said that, this method of paint removal does have its pros and cons compared to traditional methods. If you are trying to strip paint that is not loose or pealing you will have to use the edge and risk digging into the wood. However these are excellent for feathering. If you have just a few spots that need to be scraped and feathered, you can do it in minutes and the edge will be feathered perfectly.
I leave wagner up to the home owners. They also own Spray Tech and only used one my Uncle bought years ago. It had problems also.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Thanks for the advice. Paint shaver pro makes a great sander out of an angle grinder. Try that one....you'll never go back to those pads. Also, how do you collect the dust w/o a vac hook-up?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts