Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Joanna
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The show Property Ladder really irritates me.
Yep, any yahoo can make a :censored: load of money without having any skills! How is that fair to the unsuspecting buyer who doesn't know how to spot a shoddy remodel job? Makes me want to :sick: Should be on the dislosure form.
The little house I purchased had brand new tile in the kitchen. One year later, most of the grout is cracked out and about half the tiles are broken. DIY's laid the tile right on the subfloor. We weren't surprised, planning on ripping out our "brand new" kitchen anyway. But someone else would probably be pretty upset. Makes ya mad.
Anyone have any good horror stories??

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
I agree with Mike. If it wasn't for the fact that these people lived in CA where the property is out of control then they would have probably lost a bundle. If the bubble bursts they will probably be left holding the bag.

I do think its a good lesson for what can be done though. I plan on trying a home or two out myself once the real estate market settles down a bit.

If your looking for a good example of the right way to do flipping... watch Flip This House on A&E. These guys are professional who know what they are doing. A must see!

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Nathan said:
If your looking for a good example of the right way to do flipping... watch Flip This House on A&E. These guys are professional who know what they are doing. A must see!
Now that show is awesome entertainment. I loved the episode where they had a thief breaking into their storage trailer on the job site so to remedy it instead of crying about it or calling the police they got a case of beer, a baseball bat and a sawed off shot gun and sat in their truck across the street that night. It's heart warming the gems of wisdom that they can rattle off after sucking some Hemy fumes for a few hours and a downing a few six packs.

·
Joanna
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you see the new one yesterday with the runaway dumpster???????:eek:
Now that's a good show. Those guys do it right!

·
Pro Painter
2,314 Posts
Mike Finley said:
Now that show is awesome entertainment. I loved the episode where they had a thief breaking into their storage trailer on the job site so to remedy it instead of crying about it or calling the police they got a case of beer, a baseball bat and a sawed off shot gun and sat in their truck across the street that night. It's heart warming the gems of wisdom that they can rattle off after sucking some Hemy fumes for a few hours and a downing a few six packs.
Hah! That was a great episode. I was sooooo hoping they'd catch that fool and beat him down on public tv!! :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
6,938 Posts
wow, ok I dont feel like the only person who watches that show.

I love it.

Damn, I missed the last one.

Someone please explain.

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
I was going to post about that show. I watched a "marathon" four shows on A&E on Saturday for the first time. They do seem a little more realistic than other shows. The only thing that gets me is how they manage to get permits and inspections so fast. There are a lot of towns here in NJ where the bldg. insp. office is only open for 2hrs one night a week and these guys do a gut job in 10 days.

·
Joanna
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think they get permits. Did you see the one where they were shut down? LOL! They are usually so fast they don't bother with them. I think Richard had said on one episode that he won't wait on red tape. :thumbup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts