Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
I am looking for opinions on the Home Inspecting business. I am a GC, licensed in North Carolina. I am also seeking advise on how to go about becoming a Home Inspector.
Heath

U

·
0 Posts
Home inspectors

Heath
I don't know the requirements for becoming a home inspector in NC. In general I have heard that if you do thorough inspections that lead buyers to lower prices or break deals then you can get black listed by real estate agents. If you do "soft" inspection then homeowners will hate you and try to sue if you missed something big. Sounds like the turnover is high and the money is not as good as it seems due to high expenses.
CHC

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Guest - there may be a flaw to your logic. There are usually two realtors involved in every transaction. If you do a thorough inspection the seller’s agent might not like you during that transaction, but the buyer’s agent is going to love you. And you can be damn sure that when that seller's agent now has another client and is now a buyer's agent he is going to want an inspector like yourself that does a thorough job for his client. It has been my experience that professional realtors have already exposed, advised and discussed most flaws in a house with their sellers before the inspection even occurs, because the last thing they want is an inspection report to slow down or throw a wrench into a deal that is so close to being completed. The inspectors main benefit to an experienced realtor is really two part; to CYA or uncover serious hidden defects that would result in lawyers gettting paid later.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I once thought that becoming a home inspector might be a nice, easy job that an older guy could do. Here you have to have 200 supervised inspections(serve an apprenticeship) to get certified. I made it through 3.
If you like traversing searing attics and playing 'crocodile hunter' in crawl spaces this job may fit you to a tee.
I went on to start a remodeling business. I work mostly in A/C, standing upright and most of the critters that I run into are long dead. Should I mention that it pays more too?

Reactions: heavy_d
1 - 5 of 5 Posts