Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a dewalt cross line laser. It was on sale a at Lowes.

I noticed that it doesn't have a mechanism to lock the pendulum, is this normal for this type of laser? it seems fishy, I might return it and get the bosch.

·
Nail-Bender
4,603 Posts
I think the johnson may have the lock. It's a bit bigger of a unit.

Since switching over to renos, I have used the Dewalt cross line a lot. Our lead hand has one, and it is pretty much in use every day.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Pls don't, mastercraft do...

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brutus said:
I think the johnson may have the lock. It's a bit bigger of a unit.

Since switching over to renos, I have used the Dewalt cross line a lot. Our lead hand has one, and it is pretty much in use every day.
Seems like it will be handy for walkout basements and also partition layout sometimes

So you think it's good enough for job site use Brutus?

·
Nail-Bender
4,603 Posts
The Dewalt or Johnson? I have never used the Johnson, myself. But I was looking at them last week for my own use, for when I am not with that particular lead.

The Dewalt we have used for many things to far. Leveling out ceilings, lining out for new beams/joists when no straight line was available, prepping level lines for new basement slab.

·
Hack
3,011 Posts
I think most of the Spectra line lasers have pendulum locks.
Manufacturers should make them standard.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have a Bosch GLL2-40 that locks the pendulum when you turn it off. If it goes off automatically after being on for a period of time, the pendulum doesn't lock because the switch has to be in the off position.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have the DW087K and it doesn't lock. However, all three of the new DeWalt ones that were just released have locking pendulums (click).

The new Bosch GLL3-50 only locks when turned off.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I have the Bosch gll 280 it locks when turned off. I dropped it four feet onto concrete with the pendulum locked and it still works perfectly.
Nicko.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have two Johnson lasers and they have locks. Lock automatically when you shut it off. Good units but you have to be gentle with them. The magnetic base is handy as we use a lot of steel.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
The GLL 3-80 has one.
I have not had any problems with the PLS 2 lacking them.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
By the way...look at FastCap a laser mag mount if any of you guys use them often .....it makes vertical adjustment fast and easy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts