Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,989 Posts
Wrap it with heavy hardware cloth..... that ain't very fancy. The kids can play Cops and Robbers, and this would be the Jail.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
This picture reminds me of a quote that I gave to the guy who runs the local flea market close by. He wanted to upgrade the restrooms which are at present just glorified out houses with running cold water.

The job would be a commercial type build since its a public rest room with all the regular and ADA requirements.

"Owner of the flea market" should have been my first red flag.

He wanted to get all the material from a salvage lumber and barn store and then put the studs 2' oc to save lumber but perlin blocks for the hardboard panels on the inside.

Used foundation blocks, he said I have about 6 here and we can prolly dig up 10 or 12 more so just figure out how many we need to buy. :rolleyes:

He had these old windows that he wanted to build a frame for and use.

He even had several rolls at various lengths and gauges of recycled wire to wire it with.

I kept telling him that we couldn't do this and that but he wasn't having any.

I left him a price but didnt expect him to call me back. I got a call last week from a handy man guy that Flea market man had talked to about doing the job. He wanted to know if I pull the permit and just let him do the work? :w00t::laughing::no:

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
When dealing with a HO, it's usually just about stroking his ego. He knows he's in over his head, he now knows he really doesn't know how to do it, but his ego won't let him admit it to his wife or himself (or kids). If you want the job, just stroke his ego. Re: the OP:

Tell him good job on the deck but it could use a little tweaking. Tell him good job on the framing, you can take it from there. Don't say anything about removing what's there, just price it that way.

He wants a flat roof on the top, fine. Does he want it actually roofed or just boards with gaps?

You will get these jobs if you just keep your mouth shut when it comes to insulting him. He's looking for someone to help him not look silly. He will pay you well for that if you work with him.

·
Workin' Hard & Havin' Fun
1,763 Posts
thom said:
When dealing with a HO, it's usually just about stroking his ego. He knows he's in over his head, he now knows he really doesn't know how to do it, but his ego won't let him admit it to his wife or himself (or kids). If you want the job, just stroke his ego. Re: the OP:

Tell him good job on the deck but it could use a little tweaking. Tell him good job on the framing, you can take it from there. Don't say anything about removing what's there, just price it that way.

He wants a flat roof on the top, fine. Does he want it actually roofed or just boards with gaps?

You will get these jobs if you just keep your mouth shut when it comes to insulting him. He's looking for someone to help him not look silly. He will pay you well for that if you work with him.
well said Thom!

Matt

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
7,007 Posts
This picture reminds me of a quote that I gave to the guy who runs the local flea market close by. He wanted to upgrade the restrooms which are at present just glorified out houses with running cold water.

The job would be a commercial type build since its a public rest room with all the regular and ADA requirements.

"Owner of the flea market" should have been my first red flag.

He wanted to get all the material from a salvage lumber and barn store and then put the studs 2' oc to save lumber but perlin blocks for the hardboard panels on the inside.

Used foundation blocks, he said I have about 6 here and we can prolly dig up 10 or 12 more so just figure out how many we need to buy. :rolleyes:

He had these old windows that he wanted to build a frame for and use.

He even had several rolls at various lengths and gauges of recycled wire to wire it with.

I kept telling him that we couldn't do this and that but he wasn't having any.

I left him a price but didnt expect him to call me back. I got a call last week from a handy man guy that Flea market man had talked to about doing the job. He wanted to know if I pull the permit and just let him do the work? :w00t::laughing::no:
Oh come on be a nice guy and help the poor guy out.:laughing: You could even go down there and watch him do it and give pointers to him. :clap:

·
PROcrastinator
160 Posts
it's easy

It's EaSY. The kid at home depot said so. Ha ha ha aha ha.
Laughed my butt off. :thumbsup:
He left you the easy part. Wow.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
thom said:

Thom it's not worth for me to touch what he has , with out tearing ot down,here in NJ we work with drawings and permits , i sleep good at night knowing my work was approved by the township , and when the guy throws a party in his new million dollar house and has 10-20 kids climbing that thing I'm not taking it upon myself to half a** patch some shmucks work , im not desperate for a few hundred bucks !

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Five Star, I can't believe that after this guy had looked at your portfolio & all of the things that you have built in the past, that he would even consider asking you to build crap?:blink:
This is a setup for disaster. IMO...run.
Steve

Got a call today to finish a play house , the home owner says hes just to busy and doesn't have the time , it's easy he says to me and he doesnt want nothing fancy !

View attachment 64204

View attachment 64205

View attachment 64206

Then he told me he had a permit , and the town approved it with out drawings , I asked which dept ? And what was the building inspectors name ? I asked did you get footing inspection ? Yes he says He inspected it while the guy was digging !

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thom it's not worth for me to touch what he has , with out tearing ot down,here in NJ we work with drawings and permits , i sleep good at night knowing my work was approved by the township , and when the guy throws a party in his new million dollar house and has 10-20 kids climbing that thing I'm not taking it upon myself to half a** patch some shmucks work , im not desperate for a few hundred bucks !

Sooo glad you said that!!!

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
We use engineered plans here in NM also. I would not suggest you do anything different.

So, give him a price that includes full replacement. There is nothing there of significant value or cost to properly replicate. There is no reason to insult him, just give him a price that includes plans to do it properly. If he asks why replace it, blame it on new codes, otherwise keep your mouth shut, bid it on what it takes to do it right, and make the money.

However, there are some guys who would rather stroke their own egos than make a decent living while providing an owner with a good product that serves his needs. If the shoe fits.....................

I've worked on HO screw-ups far worse than that. I made money and had good relationships with the customers AND had referrals.

Reactions: Builderbob 72

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thom is definitely correct. I have made the mistake in the past of turning down work because my pride got in the way. Someone else made the money, earned the respect, and made a new contact. Everyone tries to save money, its common sense. Just make him happy and do it correctly. I personally don’t think you need engineered plans for a playhouse. Any decent builder should be able to build this project safe and sound. Don’t point out the mistakes just do a good job and he will probably see his mistakes and you will be his new #1!

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I got a call the other day asking if I fix moldings, this is what the guy thought was fixable. Later turns out it was a Craigslist contractor specializing in crown moldings, maybe if the molding wasn't upside down he would of had a chance and saved on the putty

Molding Wood Room Architecture Hardwood

Molding Wood Furniture Plywood Wood stain

Wood Wall Plywood Molding Ceiling

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
I got a call the other day asking if I fix moldings, this is what the guy thought was fixable. Later turns out it was a Craigslist contractor specializing in crown moldings, maybe if the molding wasn't upside down he would of had a chance and saved on the putty

View attachment 96103

View attachment 96104

View attachment 96105
It always boggles my mind how someone can leave a job and think it's ok to take money from someone for a mess like that :blink:

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
It always boggles my mind how someone can leave a job and think it's ok to take money from someone for a mess like that :blink:
Many C.L. guys are very realistic about the level of their skills, and they will say, "If the owner wanted something nicer, they should have hired a pro." They know why they were hired, and they often disrespect the homeowner for making that decision.

A guy who lived in his van did a fence job for a neighbor, and got a bunch of referrals around the neighborhood. I had a long talk with him one day while he was sitting on the back bumper of his home/workshop eating lunch. He was just scrambling to get enough food and gas money to keep alive. He knew that everyone who hired him had the money to hire a pro. And sure enough, a year later the floors were blistering, towel racks were falling off walls, the spackle was washing out of the wood siding, and so on. One of the neighbors found another C.L. guy, and he worked his way around the neighborhood putting on his hacky fixes.

·
Punching above his weight
12,110 Posts
I saw a sad one on Monday. This guy asked how my carpentry skills were. Reassured him I was a carpenter. Showed me this crown job he wasn't happy with. Whatever slob did it used 8' lengths instead of buying 16's, so every run on the wall had a seam. A bad seam.
Does Home Depot even sell 8' lengths of crown?

21 - 40 of 47 Posts