Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got a call today to finish a play house , the home owner says hes just to busy and doesn't have the time , it's easy he says to me and he doesnt want nothing fancy !

Tree Table Wood Plant

Table Furniture Wood Tree Hardwood

Table Wood Tree Lumber Log cabin

Then he told me he had a permit , and the town approved it with out drawings , I asked which dept ? And what was the building inspectors name ? I asked did you get footing inspection ? Yes he says He inspected it while the guy was digging !

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's suppose to be a playhouse lol he said he got $900 in material and some kind of special brackets I didn't even want to see lol , he wants steps inside with a flat roof lmao !! I tried to get his budget for the project lol but he kept saying he just wanted it to be simple

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Got a call today to finish a play house , the home owner says hes just to busy and doesn't have the time , it's easy he says to me and he doesnt want nothing fancy !

Then he told me he had a permit , and the town approved it with out drawings , I asked which dept ? And what was the building inspectors name ? I asked did you get footing inspection ? Yes he says He inspected it while the guy was digging !

Mission accomplished it's nothing fancy.

Just when you stop staring at the crooked posts you look down and see the footings...:eek::eek:

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
stonecutter said:
Mission accomplished it's nothing fancy.

Just when you stop staring at the crooked posts you look down and see the footings...:eek::eek:
It was hard to keep a straight face , I had to snap a shot !

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I figured I'd save my laughing for tonight with you guys !!

Anyone else got some good ones they came across ?

·
Every now and then poster
13,436 Posts
Five Star said:
I figured I'd save my laughing for tonight with you guys !!

Anyone else got some good ones they came across ?
Ok Ill admit it, I grouted sticky tiles this week. Ceramica :laughing:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
Here's one. Sorry no pics. A number of years ago a builder calls me up to see if I can fix a couple of newly framed homes that won't pass inspection.

There were two of them. The guys who framed them were long gone. They obviously had never installed trusses before. Many were in the wrong place, some at 30" o.c. the ones too big they hacked down with hatchets.

I've never seen such a mess. I told the builder to set fire to them and collect the insurance. He said no, fix it.

What a nightmare job. Took us a week to repair everything and meet code. The inspector passed it, but it was still a dogs' breakfast.

·
General Contractor
8,083 Posts
Tell him to give you 10 grand before you change your mind. :laughing::thumbsup:

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
The phrase "nothing fancy" can turn out to be a very loaded requirement from the HO.

I encounter HO's who want me to install/finish installing their home theater system but they didn't get everything that they needed. No rack furniture to hold the components, No speaker shelves, etc.

They tell me things like, "Well me and the wife are going to pick out a cabinet at a later date so whatever you can put together for us for the time being will be fine."

Well there's no problem that a couple of shelf brackets and a piece of OSB can't solve. :lol:

And when I build my temporary OSB furniture, I get the same shocked reaction from the HO every single time.

Reactions: heavy_d

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
jamestrd said:
me and my friends built something better than that at 10 years old with left over materials in our garages and what we can come across..lol..even dug a basement..
Lmao your right about that , me and my friends were building tree houses in the woods of a park at that age and they were much straighter without levels

1 - 20 of 47 Posts