Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I hate when I go to DIY message boards, and I go to quite a few, and read people giving false information. I'm not going to name an names, and no Nate it wasn't your board, but this one guy is always giving off the head uneducated answers...

There is another guy who is moderator of an unrelated section that comes to the roof section and gives roof advice. He's usually wrong.

It's nice that these people want to help but "the blind lead the blind" is what some of these diy forums should be called.

In another forum someone was questioning my knowledge because I answered a question with a question. This idiot thought I was the idiot because I didn't have the whole picture and didn't want to assume what his house architecture was, so I asked.

Just venting.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Grumpy said:
I hate when I go to DIY message boards, and I go to quite a few, and read people giving false information. I'm not going to name an names, and no Nate it wasn't your board, but this one guy is always giving off the head uneducated answers...
I know which board that was on, and let's face it Grumpy, the guy is just not knowledgeable (which both you and I know). Big blow-hard, yes. I think that the proper way to handle this is to carefully explain, as to a little child, what problems their advice would cause, and let the other readers of the board compare a well-reasoned and formulated explanation, to the ignorant ranting of the self-appointed "expert". It's no contest, and the good tradesmen owe it to each other to publically support a good answer that any of us give on such a board, to make it clear that this is not just one person's advice. But I agree with you, idiots like that make my blood boil.:evil:

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now these fricking morons are reporting me to the moderators because I am disagreeing with them. I had a private message waiting for me saying to asct more professional and not disagree with other members because it looks bad for the forum.

My reply was something to the effect that if a customer gets false advice that looks bad for your forum and when I do disagree I give facts to back up my statement so it is not me disagreeing it is the facts that disagree, I am simply the messenger.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Grumpy said:
Now these fricking morons are reporting me to the moderators because I am disagreeing with them. I had a private message waiting for me saying to asct more professional and not disagree with other members because it looks bad for the forum.

My reply was something to the effect that if a customer gets false advice that looks bad for your forum and when I do disagree I give facts to back up my statement so it is not me disagreeing it is the facts that disagree, I am simply the messenger.
They can't win the arguement with you on the facts, so they complain to the "higher authority". Your answer to them is correct, and if the self-appointed "expert" cannot handle the debate they are the ones who should not be in the forum. So I'm with you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts