Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Gents -

I have been working as a distributor sales rep for a few yrs. The distributor is one of the Nat'l big boys.

I know everyone is different. And I have low/mid/high maintenance guys across the board.

What are some characteristics that you like/dislike about your distributor rep? Specifically? What value does he bring to you and your business?

Why do you buy off of one place & not another?

My market is extremely price sensitive these days (which I don't necessarily mind) but I was curious what some feedback you guys would have.

Do you often buy from one place because they are $80sq and not $81? Do you often price shop i.e. call one guy get a price for $81, hang up, call a competitor and tell them the $81, and get the job for $80.

Thanks

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,222 Posts
Not related to just roofing. Material price is important , but the way I am treated is very important to me. I will even pay more if that service is good. How things are handled when there is a problem is a big factor too.

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
For me, Delivery was number 1

I get angry at suppliers who lie, promising early morning delivery but show up later, maybe in the afternoon. No supplier saves me enough to cover the costs of a crew sitting around waiting for materials.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Honesty is important , I have had reps lie it happens only ONCE.

I am savvy and price plays some part but product quality and the service to get it often outweigh my cheepness.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have used every supplier in my city, and stick to just two now. I use the cheapest supplier(around ~$100 per avg house less) on anything that can be pre-delivered. They are worthless at meet on site deliveries, always late never call.
The other guys I use are much more reliable and get most of our business, they call when they are going to be late.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Do what you say. It's as simple as that with me. After we have built a great relationship and I can forgive a few mistakes here and there but don't start on the wrong foot. Also fix problems. It's kills me when there is a problem with a delivery and the distributor takes no responsibility.

Price isn't exactly elastic when it comes to materials sales because there is always another distributor down the street who will at least match you. So set yourself apart with service. Make my life easier by sticking to deadlines and telling the truth. If you can't have something out by ten the next morning say so. It's hard to plan a work day around distributors who show up hours late.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would much rather be told the truth about my delivery than tell me some crap that they know isn't going to happen. I do pay a little more to have a main distributer take care of me. I don't let the old hears you a t-shirt now you owe me your business trick. Even though I don't buy a package everyday I think the little guys add up and keep them in business.
Over all I pay a little more for better service.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts