Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into a distance measuring device that is mounted in a vehicle for our paving foreman. He had one a long time ago, but I want to look into brands and models since they're not cheap. I guess all it does is sit in the truck and when he turns it on it tracks his distance traveled to the nearest foot or so, so he can do quantity estimates without getting out of his truck and using a wheel. From what I understand all it is, is a very accurate odometer and it is hooked into the truck somehow, I'm guessing measuring the revolutions of the wheels like an odometer would, just much more accurate.

Anyone have experience with these devices?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Tell him he needs the excercise.

I have never seen what you are looking for, but you may want to try companies that sell to road construction, logging companies, surveyor, etc.

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
They make GPS units that are accurate to about 6" (I think). The brand name is Trimble. I think this is the one we have at work but I can't find a price. Seems like I remember someone saying $5000

Trimble GPS Link

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Vehicle distance measurers is what they're called. I have some in a catalog, I was just seeing if someone else had some experience with them.

EDIT: They're about $5-600

1 - 6 of 6 Posts