Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
Ancient,

Seriously, you need to step back for a moment. It's much bigger than just one guy's post. If we start allowing anybody to ask questions in here, the website is no longer Contractor Talk, it's ask contractors a question. We already have that, it's the DIY sister site. And there are a lot of contractors that DONATE their time to home owners there.

So it's not that one guy's question got him sent to his room, it's the fact that he's not a contractor, period.

BTW, I was only 6 years old in 1973 :whistling. Photoshop is a wonderful thing!

·
Banned
306 Posts
I agree with the way the moderators run the site.

There is a lot of good advice on this forum. You can get to it, without having to read through a bunch of internet garbage.

The fact that most of the posters here, are true tradesman and/or contractors, is what makes this site gold IMO. Most of the posts here, run right to the core of where my mind goes, when I think of business issues.

If they allowed DIYers and Homeowners to post things here, the site would get flooded and watered down. Sigh, after that, the salesmen will be knocking the doors down.

I have noticed, they do let some people post who are not directly involved in the trades. These people seem to give balance to those thread, and I think the moderator's judgement here, has been spot on.

There are many site's that cater to "how-to" queries, It's very easy to find them. I don't believe there is anything wrong, with directing people to those sites.

I'm new to the site, and as far as internet resources go... I think CT is the best I've found yet for my trade.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
This guy was obviously not a builder or a contractor asking such a question, he was reffered to the DIY site.

I am on another site that I had to send copies of my contractors licenses to get Professional status, that allows me to go to areas of the forum that the public does not have access to.

This is contractors talk, not DIY talk.

Many posters come on with questions that clearly show they are either HO's saying they are contractors or guys doing side jobs that have no idea how to price a job so they want to pick the pro's brains here.

I thought this site was for contractors to talk to other contractors and to allow HO's to have access to ask questions as well, but no DIY.

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
How does secrecy make this valid? We need to talk "privately" so we don't embarrass the "moderators"? The man asked a legitimate question that 99% of this forum knows nothing about. and he is chastised by you and sent to his room and grounded. I have never read any of his other posts and that is irrelevant to this one. I thought the purpose for threads was to exchange ideas and information to help every one. And who in the world is going to know one iota about his question on DIY? You are entirely off base and trying to send a "private message" serves no purpose to any one for any reason. Do you think if we had this exchange in "private" your lame excuses would be more convincing? This poster must be a pariah or a criminal to be treated like an outcast even if his thread is better than 90% of the others posted by "professionals". :censored::censored::censored:
:wallbash:

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
No, I think I understand based on how they close threads. But they don't do anything as stated in rule #6.
#6.How-To Questions: Contractor Talk is a site for professional contractors to come and share business and trade knowledge. From time to time everyone runs into new situations that they’ve never seen before or that they need help with. While it’s fine for members to ask for help it’s not OK for members to ask how-to questions when they are clearly in over their head or don’t have the experience needed to complete the task. How-To threads will be closed on a case by case basis.

Can't be much clearer to me.....

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
#6.How-To Questions: Contractor Talk is a site for professional contractors to come and share business and trade knowledge. From time to time everyone runs into new situations that they’ve never seen before or that they need help with. While it’s fine for members to ask for help it’s not OK for members to ask how-to questions when they are clearly in over their head or don’t have the experience needed to complete the task. How-To threads will be closed on a case by case basis.

Can't be much clearer to me.....
I ask "How-to" all the time. So do other people.

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
While it’s fine for members to ask for help it’s not OK for members to ask how-to questions when they are clearly in over their head or don’t have the experience needed to complete the task.

Those are the threads that get closed.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Not really, we had a guy asking how to fix an old metal chimney for a customer. He was clearly in over his head and didn't have the experience needed to fix it, as with most carpenters, HVAC guys work with metal, not carpenters. I told him to hire an HVAC guy to look at it, he took my advice.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
But you hang around enough for
folks to get to know you and get
"a feel" for where you're coming from.
Someone who never hangs out and asks
4 or 5 questions over a year, all obviously
about the same house, gets a different response.
Capice?

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
But you hang around enough for
folks to get to know you and get
"a feel" for where you're coming from.
Someone who never hangs out and asks
4 or 5 questions over a year, all obviously
about the same house, gets a different response.
Capice?
Yeah, that's what I figured. That's just not how they worded it in their rules, maybe that's why people are getting confused.

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
Yeah, that's what I figured. That's just not how they worded it in their rules, maybe that's why people are getting confused.
:blink:

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
You guys are missing the part of the site rules that apply here:

3. TERMS OF MEMBERSHIP & USAGE RESTRICTIONS
Site Membership
a) Membership is generally available to any person at least 13 years ...blah blah blah

yada yada yada

i) The owners, administrators, and moderators of Contractor Talk reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason, and the right to suspend or delete any user account for any reason, with or without cause.
j) Membership in Contractor Talk is a privilege, not a right. We reserve the right to deny service to any person, at any time, for any reason, with or without cause.

Personally, I like the "with or without cause" part. :jester:

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Yeah I know, if it's your server you can allow or disallow anyone you want. A server works like a telephone, you can hang up the phone to anyone you want too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think it is much better to have the moderators kindly ask these people to go to the DYI site then to leave them on here so we can beat the crap out of them. Not as much fun though. :laughing:

·
Ancient Rocker
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I totally understand

Not understanding why you dont get it, let me try another approach, this forum is called "Contractor Talk" NOT

"I am a homeowner trying to save money building my own home talk"

We have a site for them, it is the DIY site, and many of the members here contribute there time and offer advice over there. Our job, as moderators is to keep order, and to keep this site strictly for contractors. GMOD
Since you have the ball, we can't play without it. You can pout and take the ball home. I understand 100%. If you have a problem outside your realm, wouldn't you ask a professional instead of a novice? I guarantee you not one DIY forum knows crap about this topic so who would he ask but a professional? Because so many people are defending your stance I assume they know nothing about the topic, so send him to DIY and get even less help. I KNOW every one on this site is not a contractor, so your posit is insulting and arrogant. Because you do not have the knowledge about the post does not mean it's insignificant. Who are you "protecting" if no one replies to his post? It's just like television. If you don't like it, turn the damn station. Also, for the idiot who said I'm on thin ice, your childish threat is truly boorish. I understand your stance 100% and you are 100% wrong.:censored::censored::censored:

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Since you have the ball, we can't play without it. You can pout and take the ball home. I understand 100%. If you have a problem outside your realm, wouldn't you ask a professional instead of a novice? I guarantee you not one DIY forum knows crap about this topic so who would he ask but a professional? Because so many people are defending your stance I assume they know nothing about the topic, so send him to DIY and get even less help. I KNOW every one on this site is not a contractor, so your posit is insulting and arrogant. Because you do not have the knowledge about the post does not mean it's insignificant. Who are you "protecting" if no one replies to his post? It's just like television. If you don't like it, turn the damn station. Also, for the idiot who said I'm on thin ice, your childish threat is truly boorish. I understand your stance 100% and you are 100% wrong.:censored::censored::censored:
There you go!
You can do that too.
If you want to answer the HOs and DIYs
join the DIY site,http://www.diychatroom.com/
and answer away. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
lol, I always thought it was kind of weird how they put the rules together, but it's not that big of a deal, it's not like your life is in danger. Take a chill pill man, have a drink.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
This guy was obviously not a builder or a contractor asking such a question, he was reffered to the DIY site.

I am on another site that I had to send copies of my contractors licenses to get Professional status, that allows me to go to areas of the forum that the public does not have access to.

This is contractors talk, not DIY talk.

Many posters come on with questions that clearly show they are either HO's saying they are contractors or guys doing side jobs that have no idea how to price a job so they want to pick the pro's brains here.

I thought this site was for contractors to talk to other contractors and to allow HO's to have access to ask questions as well, but no DIY.

That discriminates against contractors from NY and other states that take the enlightened approach that no one can enforce the licensing laws so why bother>G<
Seriously, how would I prove to their satisfaction?

21 - 40 of 60 Posts