Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a problem with a well service/plumbing company and would like to get a plumber's perspective on a fair resolution. It is a long story, here's an attempt at a short version.

Our 30+ year old well started giving us gray dust looking stuff in the water and the pump couldn't seem to keep up any more. I called the largest well driller co in our area. They don't do service work but recommended a local plumber (Tom). I met with Tom we agreed it is time for a new pump, he gives me a reasonable price. We will be gone for 3 weeks he says he will do the work while we are gone. He will get on it right away.

I could fill a page with a rant about the next 2-1/2 weeks but the bottom line is they installed a new pump. At that time his service guy informed him our pressure tank was bad. It sat for 1&1/2 weeks in that condition. Just before we are to come back Tom goes back out to run the water & take a water sample. He tells us don't drink the water when we get back because he won't have the water test back yet and the pressure tank needs to be replaced and they can't do that until next week. We get back Sunday night and the pump is kicking on and off about once per second. The water tank is totally waterlogged.

I will not be doing business with Tom anymore. I have his invoice for doing the work. Had the pump not been cycling when we got back I would have just paid him & moved on. But I assume it is likely the pump was damaged by the high speed on/off cycling. It may have started doing that shortly before we got back or it may have been doing that for 1-1/2 days. Tom knew for over 1-1/2 weeks that our tank needed to be replaced. Instead of replacing it he waited until just before we get back, comes out to draw a water sample and leaves the pump on knowing it has a bad tank and leaves.

Anyone want to venture a guess on if the pump has been damaged? My first thought was his actions likely caused damage to the pump so he can extend the warranty to cover the normal life of a pump rather than a 3 year warranty. The problem with that is a warranty from him is only as good as he is and that isn't much. I thought of deducting a % of the bill but have no idea what the odds are that the pump was damaged.

So I would appreciate any suggestions on how to best resolve this.

[And there is a whole lot more to the story including his taking the water sample on Friday, not submitting it to the lab until the following Monday, but filling in all the lab paperwork saying he took the sample the same day he submitted it to the lab. The lab said 30 hours is the absolute max time from sampling to submitting to them if properly stored. Interestingly his sample came back SAFE. The two subsequent samples have come back UNSAFE]

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,441 Posts
Thanks for posting on ContractorTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer that you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ContractorTalk.com is designed for professional contractors to discuss issues and topics related to the construction and remodeling industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.