Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any ideas to dispose of ceramic tile and thinset for fill or any other purpose?

I dispose of demolition tile to the dumpster and it goes to landfill, drive it to landfill at 60$ a ton , construction debris landfill is 27$ 3 yds and 3$ additional yards. In Cocoa Beach the landfill was free, Tampa company recycles for free. The tile are sharp so vehicle traffic wouldn't be good.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a combination of all,
I don't have a commercial building, therefor no dumpster. We have the retailer we work for sometimes we dump there if it doesn't interfere with (fill) the rest of the crews disposal. My wife works for a realtor who has a 3yd. Dumpster, I rent a storage unit that I can dump(5yd) those are all shared.
Time wise the landfills have certain hours that we can't get to in time.
We travel 200 mile radius and hauling back I'd rather dump local and putting container on site or a bagster I'm just not comfortable doing. Usually the jobs are 500-1000 ft.
I guess I'm looking to dump. 24/7, not pay or minimal, and it going to good use for a purpose,

·
Hair Splitter
18,330 Posts
It's a combination of all,
I don't have a commercial building, therefor no dumpster. We have the retailer we work for sometimes we dump there if it doesn't interfere with (fill) the rest of the crews disposal. My wife works for a realtor who has a 3yd. Dumpster, I rent a storage unit that I can dump(5yd) those are all shared.
Time wise the landfills have certain hours that we can't get to in time.
We travel 200 mile radius and hauling back I'd rather dump local and putting container on site or a bagster I'm just not comfortable doing. Usually the jobs are 500-1000 ft.
I guess I'm looking to dump. 24/7, not pay or minimal, and it going to good use for a purpose,
Just curious as to why you don't rent a dumpster and put it on the jobsite? Not a criticism.

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
Just curious as to why you don't rent a dumpster and put it on the jobsite? Not a criticism.
Because scheduling for small one day jobs can be a pita. Not to mention a lot of condos and h.o.a. won't allow it. We do it whenever we can, but there are many times it's just not practical.

·
Hair Splitter
18,330 Posts
Because scheduling for small one day jobs can be a pita. Not to mention a lot of condos and h.o.a. won't allow it. We do it whenever we can, but there are many times it's just not practical.

Yes I understand that, but the op mentioned yards and tons of materials. It sounded like he was talking about every job but just small ones. Hence my question.

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
Yes I understand that, but the op mentioned yards and tons of materials. It sounded like he was talking about every job but just small ones. Hence my question.
He mentioned tons in context of what the landfill charges, not necessarily the amounts he's dumping every time. And yes, I agree, it sounded like he was talking about every job. Hence my answer. I'm not speaking for him, just giving my experiences.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
That's a lot cheaper than the pricing around here, by about half.

See if you can find a guy who will do pickups for you, either at the site for larger jobs or once a week at your house. Bring the really small jobs home in bins. I'd think you would need at least a 6yard for 1000 square feet.

·
Hair Splitter
18,330 Posts
He mentioned tons in context of what the landfill charges, not necessarily the amounts he's dumping every time. And yes, I agree, it sounded like he was talking about every job. Hence my answer. I'm not speaking for him, just giving my experiences.
Well I asked him and you started your answer qouting me saying "because". That sounds like your are answering for him.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TNTSERVICES said:
Paul can answer for me, sharp tack! I was gone for a little while, had to sell my 6280hd scraper.

When I leave the job I want it complete, not the homeowner having some crew come by or crain.

Also a dumpster is rather unsightly, and space or even damage minor scrapes on driveway what have you is slightly unprofessional if it can be avoided.

Our landfill takes concrete waste, I guess it's too soon for an actual use of the material, maybe not enough quantity for big contractors, the product is rather clean just tile and thinset usually.

·
Hair Splitter
18,330 Posts
Paul can answer for me, sharp tack! I was gone for a little while, had to sell my 6280hd scraper.

When I leave the job I want it complete, not the homeowner having some crew come by or crain.

Also a dumpster is rather unsightly, and space or even damage minor scrapes on driveway what have you is slightly unprofessional if it can be avoided.

Our landfill takes concrete waste, I guess it's too soon for an actual use of the material, maybe not enough quantity for big contractors, the product is rather clean just tile and thinset usually.
Never had an issue with a dumpster in on a drive. Plywood and a 4x4 keep it from doing any damage.

But I see your point. I have had some crews pick up junk. Just did it the last day while I was still there or had them pick it up right after demo.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't get me wrong if other demo is going on I can see it , but just in and out not worth it, there's you call we haul with the dump trailers but then we have to dump over the top of that, we wheel it onto the trailer with the ramp, then when ready to dump drop the ramp on a 2 foot high pallets and we 're half high to the dumpster height. Oh I forgot to say I moved to an area two miles away from a construction debris place, they charged me 5$ to dump a 5x10 trailer about 16" high with tile, the son bitches sold it to the state for future toll roads .

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Mike, I see two possible things you can do.
First find a business owner who will rent you a spot. A good way may be to offer to pay to upsize the one already there and then cover the payments for the new one from then on. Now he gets no charge dumpster and you may find some one close to home.

If you cannot do that maybe talk to the sanitation company If they have a nearby Rolloff lot you may be able to negotiate a yearly rental from their site.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Craig, may have to do the upsize, today I saw the recycled concrete in a fruit stand parking lot, some of it was powdering. I know tile would be sharp as glass.

image-3121091867.jpg

image-3642255206.jpg

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Find a commercial establishment who doesn't produce much trash near your "end of day" (i.e. home/office) location. Most of them go through long periods of time that they have very little other than a few bags of trash.

Ask them nicely if you can "dispose" of your trash the night of the pickup schedule. This way you don't interfere with their trash. If you only have 5 bucks its not very much space overall even in the smallest commercial dumpster.

Just offer them to sweep up their back area!, run a magnet sweeper, etc. It saves them some effort, and doesn't cost them anything.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
This is interesting---I haul all the trash to my house--I have farm zoning and have a dumpster---I was wondering how you all handled trash---I hate having a dumpster on the job--unless it's an addition--then you must.

The neighbors often add old furniture---

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I wondered about the dumpsters at the gates to farmland around me as to how they get to have them. Wife asked me today about the dumpster at her work, I was assuming they picked it up two days a week, today being one of them, she said it was full and I dumped 400 ft Friday, the realtors dump their trash in there as well, so I checked a few hours ago and sure enough they didn't dump, trash wasn't over the top as she made it sound, but I took a picture so I can call tomorrow to check their schedule. We dumped 700ft at the retailers dumpster today. At remodels or new construction instead of dumpsters some sites are putting up orange barricade and posts for the dump area, or fence wire, not a bad idea, saves money I guess.

image-164995140.jpg

1 - 20 of 23 Posts