Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
DN Construction
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have come across a client that wants their dishwasher not near their sink due to a small kitchen in a condo. If we were to move the dishwasher to the other side of the kitchen we will gain about 9' of counter top. My question is can I install a trap and tie into the sewer line on the other side of the kitchen. This will work out perfectly because the sewer line runs this way. I was thinking of using a icemaker in-wall box and converting over to a hose barb. That way I can hose clamp the drain line right into it? What I have read is the dish washer has a drain pump in it so logically it should work. Also there is a vent right on the other side of where I would put my trap in to connect to the sewer line. Let me know what you guys think. This is the only plumbing that needs to be done for this client so thats the reason why I didn't call my plumber, and he is not the nicest guy, so I didn't want to bother him with this question. Thanks in advance. Also I am in the market for a new local plumber in the pt pleasant, bricktown area of jersey.

Thanks
Dave

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
I have come across a client that wants their dishwasher not near their sink due to a small kitchen in a condo. If we were to move the dishwasher to the other side of the kitchen we will gain about 9' of counter top. My question is can I install a trap and tie into the sewer line on the other side of the kitchen. This will work out perfectly because the sewer line runs this way. I was thinking of using a icemaker in-wall box and converting over to a hose barb. That way I can hose clamp the drain line right into it? What I have read is the dish washer has a drain pump in it so logically it should work. Also there is a vent right on the other side of where I would put my trap in to connect to the sewer line. Let me know what you guys think. This is the only plumbing that needs to be done for this client so thats the reason why I didn't call my plumber, and he is not the nicest guy, so I didn't want to bother him with this question. Thanks in advance. Also I am in the market for a new local plumber in the pt pleasant, bricktown area of jersey.

Thanks
Dave
You are going to have to talk to a licensed plumber, one thing you will need is an air gap, a trap is still required, but you will also need an air gap.

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
With the information provided no one can answer accurately. You will need to deal with a trap, a vent, properly graded pipe, proper fittings, an air gap, and probably more. Fittings that look alike to most people are often different. The orientation of the pipe will determine whether you need a sanitary tee or a combination Y & 1/8 bend. to most people these are the same fitting but they work very differently. This doesn't take a licensed plumber, merely a person who knows everything needed to be a licensed plumber.

Reactions: griz

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
I keep seeing these air gap things in lowes but never paid much attention to them. I used to install appliances in the UK and installed thousands of dishwashers and never once had to install one of these air gap gadgets! They also never had vents either but never had issues with them pumping out.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The most common cheat to get around the air gap requirement is a high loop with the discharge hose.
Check out Ridgid's forum. The plumbing expertise on that site can't be matched.
They'll discourage a GC from doing plumbing, but they should be able to recommend a good licensed plumber in your area.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
The most common cheat to get around the air gap requirement is a high loop with the discharge hose.
Check out Ridgid's forum. The plumbing expertise on that site can't be matched.
They'll discourage a GC from doing plumbing, but they should be able to recommend a good licensed plumber in your area.

Yep thats all we used to do. The machines even come with a u bend that holds the pipe in that shape. Funny why they say you need them over here! The drains are no different.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Talking to my plumber about that last week and he said that in Oregon it isn't against code not to have an airgap.
Don't know if thats true but do know DW's will work without them

·
Pro Plumber
2,779 Posts
Talking to my plumber about that last week and he said that in Oregon it isn't against code not to have an airgap.
Don't know if thats true but do know DW's will work without them
I don't normally come to this site anymore, but since you are talking about Oregon Code, an airgap is not required here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts