Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just pulled my old dishwashers out - putting in new. Taking a quick 'board break' to keep it interesting. Any tips for dishwasher installs?
The dishwashers didn't match and the 12 year old "el cheapo" broke about a year ago. The 10 year old Kitchenaid still works like a charm but the wife wanted two matching instead of just replacing the broken one. You know, now they have dirty dish sensors and built in garbage disposals, and delayed use timers and 'must have' features ad nauseam. For heaven's sake I think some can get the internet (I know they have refrigerators with HDTV).
Why don't they make one with a built-in bottle opener on the front? :D

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
Two dishwashers???

How many dishes does your family go through in a day - LOL

As to your question, I know how to install one but I can't really recommend a brand to you.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Glasshousebltr said:
Get you a little migget chick and put her in a painted box under the counter.
Bob
Hell Bob, I been had that. :cheesygri

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I know :eek: - it seemed a bit over the edge to me too when "we" decided to install two dishwashers during a kitchen remodel in '95. We were looking at ways to address the problem of very limited countertop space. We had two infants and a four year old and constantly had baby bottles, sippy cups, bowls, etc. etc. queued up on the counters waiting to be washed. The extra dishwasher seemed like a practical solution (we had plenty of cabinet space and a big pantry) and has actually worked out well. It's also been great when lots of people are in for a party and you start running out of clean margarita glasses.
I have to say though that whoever developed the standard for connecting the dishwasher to water/drain/electric is either one stupid or one sick SOB. There has to be a better way than laying with you're face pressed to the floor trying to tighten compression fittings you can't even get a wrench on. There ought'a be a standardized 'pigtail' like car wiring harnesses or quick-connect air lines.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Hey, two dishwashers doesn't sound crazy to me. It isn't out of the ordinary to see high end homes out here with 2 ovens, a warming tray, a stand-alone icemaker, a trash compacter, a separate prep sink, a couple of dishwashers, two refrigerators. We live in the land of 3 car garages as standard equipment now, why not 2 dishwashers?

I have asked my wife if she wanted 2 clothes dryers since it always seems that the washer washes closes faster than the dryer dries them and it always seems like there is a load of clothes waiting to go from the washer to the dryer. She said no, but hey, at least I asked, I should get some points for that, right?

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mike Finley said:
I have asked my wife if she wanted 2 clothes dryers since it always seems that the washer washes closes faster than the dryer dries them and it always seems like there is a load of clothes waiting to go from the washer to the dryer.
That's on our 'dream home' list.

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
You're a good husband Mike!

Have you suggested a natural gas dryer? They're supposed to dry a LOT faster then electric. My current home came with electric and I haven't gotten around to that part of the "to do" list yet. The natural gas line for my BBQ comes first! LOL

·
Registered
89 Posts
Glasshousebltr said:
Get you a little migget chick and put her in a painted box under the counter.

Hey! Everbody has to have a job.

Bob
i think the correct term is "dwarf lady" why you got ta hate man? :cheesygri

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I believe that they prefer to be called "little people".
What happens if they aren't anglo-saxons (a corrupt term in itself). Is little black dude acceptable? Do you have to throw the 'person' in there?
I'm lost. I think that I'll stick with "hey, bubba".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts