Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Remodeler
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi -

I'm doing a remodel on a house with a septic field. They want a dishwasher. What's your guys take on draining a dishwasher into a septic field? Can't be much worse than the washing machine or is it?

Thanks ...

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
get a model that has a built-in garbage disposal.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I have been on septic for 3 yrs. now and grilled all of the pro's that I've come into contact with and get just about as many different answers.

See if you can figure this out. Septic systems require bacteria to break down organic material, many of todays soaps and detergents have anti-bacterial ingredients, so this would be bad.
Oils and greases will find their way into the system and clog things up, soaps and detergents break down oils and greases, so this would be good.

After 3 yrs. my tank was full. Part of this is due to ol'#2's use of the disposall, I'm sure. I use Rid-X every month and now, I guess that I'll get pumped every 2 yrs.

I hope that I have made this as clear to you as it is to me. LOL
BTW, my dishwasher is hooked up to the disposall.

·
Registered
199 Posts
If the perc tests show it was ok for a septic field should be no problem. Some jurisdictions are now classing D/W output as "graywater" and that gives one more options. I think the modern ones use about 7 gallons for both wash and rinse cycle.

·
Registered
131 Posts
My parents have had a dishwasher and no disposal for about 20 years with no problems. In fact, they've never had it pumped and they never use any type of Rid-x etc. They had more lateral installed than required and their soil is pretty sandy. My sister on the other hand, had to have her septic pumped after a half dozen years. They have a dishwasher and disposal. Their soil is also more clay like and if I was guessing, they didn't have any more lines than "recommended".

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Why would a dishwasher be detrimental to a septic field? I guarantee my brothers and sister and I used double or triple the water, and twice the soap, to do the dishes when we were kids than a dishwasher uses nowdays.
I remember, as a kid, the year our septic field gave up the ghost. It was about 2 years after we got 'city' water. The yard got a big swampy patch that developed a smell and sheen that flies loved. The guy that came and looked at it said the problem was that it hadn't been pumped in the nearly 30 years since it had been installed. He knew this because the tank cover was buried under 3 feet of dirt right next to a 24" sycamore.
Looking back I guess that after getting off the old suction pump well, the infinite supply of water available encouraged us to use about 500% more water than previously possible. Before city water we only had until the lights dimmed down, about 3 minutes, to run the water.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hadn't thought about the city water/ pump water issue. I wonder how much difference the chlorinated water makes in the bacteria levels of the system?

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
A lot of this is going to be dependent on a combination of your local geography, soil conditions and of course the design of the waste field. If everything is on the marginal side you could run into problems, if you live in sand, with a nice large field that wasn't minimally designed I doubt you will have a problem.

·
Remodeler
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
... so the unanimous concensus seems to be that I may or may not work :cheesygri :Thumbs:
sorry ... I couldn't resist. Seriously though ... thanks guy .. you gave me some good info and issues to check out.

Thanks again ....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts