Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,417 Posts
I believe if you're adding any single pole 15 or 20 amp circuit under the last few NEC code cycles they have to be AFCI protected. If it is an existing circuit you do not have to add the AFCI only the GFCI.

Local amendments may change the requirements.

Tom
Take a look at 210.12(D).

·
Electrical Contractor
244 Posts
By definition, the connection is still made at an outlet on a direct wire install.

Tom
Yes, the gfci is required regardless of whether it is direct wired or cord and plug. That is my point. I now that a direct wire connection is made at an outlet.

Ken mentioned receptacle so my point was to show that gfci is required even if there wasn't a receptacle.

Not sure what you were getting at

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Some of the inspectors around here are requiring the gfci to not be buried in the cabinet as it is "not accessible ".
So the dish washer is on its on line ? with a gfi in the panel or do you guys wire the outlet on a kitchen outlet gfi ?

·
Electrical Contractor
244 Posts
So the dish washer is on its on line ? with a gfi in the panel or do you guys wire the outlet on a kitchen outlet gfi ?
The kitchen counter receptacles cannot be on with the dishwasher. The small appliance branch circuit (kitchen counter) can be connected to pantry, dining room areas but not to any appliances

21 - 24 of 24 Posts