Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a new dishwasher for my house and the sales person at the appliance store told me that it is now required by code to have a plug and outlet hookup instead of hardwiring the dishwasher. Is this true? If so, do I need to install GFCI outlet under the sink for the dishwasher?

·
Box Builder
6,306 Posts
If you’re doing it yourself you can do whatever you want. I don’t like to hardwire them. I can’t remember ever seeing a gfci buried inside a cabinet.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,413 Posts
Silly me. I just use a deadfront GFCI above the countertop.

Reactions: Fouthgeneration

·
PCI
649 Posts
Some of the inspectors around here are requiring the gfci to not be buried in the cabinet as it is "not accessible ".

·
Registered
389 Posts
i don`t know if its everywhere , but in south florida, all appliances in the kitchen have to have a plug.
basically , that way , a home owner can replace their own appliance , without having to call a service guy. they can just unplug it , buy and plug in the new one .
never was asked about the receptacle inside the cabinet being g.f.i.
don`t think so , i mean the fridge isn't dishwasher isn't ,

·
Registered
5,792 Posts
Here do a duplex mounted in the wall under the sink. One is switched for GD and the other is always hot for the DW to plug in. Both served by a gfci breaker.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,413 Posts
I can just hear the homeowners screaming about that
Homeowners scream about everything. If you give one a $100-bill, they'll bitch it's not five 20s.

Reactions: Fouthgeneration

·
hack of all trades
1,123 Posts
I usually run emt up into the sink cabinet to a square box with a switch and a short whip of MC going out to the dishwasher.

I'm not completely sold on this method, the switch might be kind of pointless but if the dishwasher is malfunctioning and you need to shut it fast, it works. Also, I've seen lots of rodent damage on cords and romex cables to dishwashers in the past.

I've never been required to protect dishwasher with gfci here by inspectors but they let a lot slide in this little town.

·
hack of all trades
1,123 Posts
if your adding a receptacle for the dishwasher it will need to be GFCI AND AFCI protected
Not necessarily. A lot of jurisdictions are still using older code cycles that don't even require GFCI let alone AFCI on a dishwasher. It doesn't mean you shouldn't protect it if you feel like it's important though.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,413 Posts
if your adding a receptacle for the dishwasher it will need to be GFCI AND AFCI protected
GFCI protection is for receptacles only

AFCI protection is for the entire circuit.

·
Electrical Contractor
244 Posts
GFCI protection is for receptacles only

AFCI protection is for the entire circuit.

I know you know this but gfci is not only for the receptacle but it is required for the dishwasher even if it is direct wired. I think that is what Manchester meant

(D) Kitchen Dishwasher Branch Circuit. GFCI protection
shall be provided for outlets that supply dishwashers installed
in dwelling unit locations.

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
I know you know this but gfci is not only for the receptacle but it is required for the dishwasher even if it is direct wired. I think that is what Manchester meant
We just change the breaker to gfci and install a lockout, makes for a much neater install.

·
Registered
11,916 Posts
By definition, the connection is still made at an outlet on a direct wire install.

Tom

·
Registered
11,916 Posts
I believe if you're adding any single pole 15 or 20 amp circuit under the last few NEC code cycles they have to be AFCI protected. If it is an existing circuit you do not have to add the AFCI only the GFCI.

Local amendments may change the requirements.

Tom

1 - 20 of 24 Posts