Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I arranged a new LG dishwasher delivery/install for a client tomorrow, and just learned the dealer doesn't do hard wire hook-up's. I need to run the wire to a handy box in the adjacent sink cabinet so they can test it when they're there, etc. and am wondering about box placement. The guy in the store ball-parked the cord length at only about 18-24" - does that sound right for a standard cord? Sounds short. So outlet goes on side wall and not too far back in these cases? Thanks.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
The better question is would you really trust the guys delivering the thing to actually hook up the wiring? I doubt they are electricians or know the first thing about wiring.
If a white goods installer can't connect the power to a dishwasher get a new installer.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I have seen this as well! Is it a code thing, or for the "box store guys"? But, if they can't do electric, who is going to do the plumbing???

·
Pro
2,859 Posts
MarkJames said:
I arranged a new LG dishwasher delivery/install for a client tomorrow, and just learned the dealer doesn't do hard wire hook-up's. I need to run the wire to a handy box in the adjacent sink cabinet so they can test it when they're there, etc. and am wondering about box placement. The guy in the store ball-parked the cord length at only about 18-24" - does that sound right for a standard cord? Sounds short. So outlet goes on side wall and not too far back in these cases? Thanks.
Insurance is most reason why they don't install products . Must be Something new . Never seen Or heard of cord on dishwasher . Always hard wired units .

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Insurance is most reason why they don't install products . Must be Something new . Never seen Or heard of cord on dishwasher . Always hard wired units .
Some have the optional "cord kit" that you can buy...maybe they just want to sell more of them.

·
Registered
8,240 Posts
Most new ones here, at least the last 10 years or so, have an appliance cord and plug into an outlet under the sink. That serves as the service disconnect. The older homes have a switch installed in the backsplash to serve as the disconnect.

In Texas, appliance installers are tested and licensed to connect existing wiring and plumbing to the new appliances. They are not allowed to run new feeds to them.

·
Registered
11,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the feedback.

Just to update, the installer told me by phone that he carried 4' and 6' cords with him, depending. The dealer in question rhymed with "GGDreg". I wasn't there for the install, but presumably it was done properly tonight. I told to tenant to call me ASAP if there are any problems (esp, since it's going into my new kitchen cabinetry).

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
just some FYI for you-

The National Electrical Code states the cord for a dishwasher shall be 0.9 m to 1.2 m ( 3 to 4 feet)
You missed an important ending to that sub section...

...measured from the face of the attachment plug to the plane of the rear of the appliance.

If not it would not be practical as the counter is 24". Usually the Jbox in in the front, so a 6' cord allows the dw to be pulled out.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You missed an important ending to that sub section...

...measured from the face of the attachment plug to the plane of the rear of the appliance.

If not it would not be practical as the counter is 24". Usually the Jbox in in the front, so a 6' cord allows the dw to be pulled out.
And your point is ?? You still can not use a 6' cord to do a legal install.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
And your point is ?? You still can not use a 6' cord to do a legal install.
Not if the cord measures less than 4' from the rear plane of the the dishwasher to the flat of the plug....6' total would be close but possible for some dw's. 5'7" is safer but a 6' cord is not always illegal.

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
I've accompanied my electrical inspectors through a lot of final inspections. Not once have I seen one measure a dishwasher cord.

·
Registered
9,603 Posts
Installed a Viking DW on Monday had cord attached, about 6' long. First one with a cord in several years. My electrician said they can have cord or lockout device on breaker, never are they checked. But the check for range anti tip bracket all of the time, go figure.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts