Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Hey Paulie, How you doin? you keeping buzy? myself just sittin around watchin TV, the ole lady got the internet turned back on, I get on here every day looking for a job, But really can't work cause both of my trucks have blown clutches. Bank of America finally gave me a date for the foreclosure. June 8, 2011 azzholes tell me my house is worth $20k and I owe $82k:laughing: F*&$ 'em and thats what this place will be $20k screw it I will walk. The ole lady went in front of the Social Security Judge on her appeal, so now after appling and reappling, and 11 years and 7 months later she is finally going to get some help, I Hope anyways. If not I guess she wasn't messed up enough. Her Doctor listed her Fully Disabilabled:sad:
Yeah, if it wasn't for my german shepherd having pups that we sold I don't know what we would have done. if the ole lady gets some money we might move to a place with more land and start breeding our german shepherds. you can wish and dream, but with no income or money, it's like wishing in one hand, and crap in the other and see which fills up the fastest.:laughing:

·
Registered
1 Posts
New to contractor talk and trying to use "search" but not good luck trying to use it. ButI know this is probabaly been talked about alot before but what in fact does (dish detergent ) do to help mud ? I am a carpenter and do some drywall but recently noticed on ajob the drywallers were squirting DAWN dish soap in there pan and mixing it by hand with there 4 in blade. Is it for the last coat, all coats and what exactly does it do?? Always looking for tips in the drywall area

Thanks
I'm going to say use a little wood glue or white glue to tape and finish with the old fashioned way, soap leads me to believe that when mixed with a wet substance it will create bubbles. Bubbles are not a drywallers friend.

we've used dawn for the last 30 years and never had one single problem, it makes the final coat glide on. Just like anything good in life, don't over do it!
I've never used soap, I'll have to experiment with it now.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,870 Posts
Old thread.

I used to do it, I don’t anymore.

The proper amount of water, and the proper technique, will eliminate bubbles.

However, I’ve had consistent problems with paint not sticking on walls mudded using soap.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New to contractor talk and trying to use "search" but not good luck trying to use it. ButI know this is probabaly been talked about alot before but what in fact does (dish detergent ) do to help mud ? I am a carpenter and do some drywall but recently noticed on ajob the drywallers were squirting DAWN dish soap in there pan and mixing it by hand with there 4 in blade. Is it for the last coat, all coats and what exactly does it do?? Always looking for tips in the drywall area

Thanks
I think if you use a little soap you're making calcium crystals- soap scum (better-because it's without skin cells and bacteria). I think it might be poor man's tadelakt (aren't they all- well no, that pricy 'comes in 5gal to mix' company sells venician plaster at plastering prices... I digress): if your ratios are right it adds the right amount of breathability- waterproofing. Use a tiny on second coat, a dollop on 3rd, and then burnish with a back of a spoon or rock. You have to do the coats within full drying-- Don't attempt to sick a soapy layer to a layer that has fully dried.
I've been experimenting with 5 min mud, has probably too much plaster of Paris, but a dollop of Dr Bronner's in final coat seems solid! Doing this next to the shower, on the "wet" wall.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts