Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yeah, around here rough structure inspection can be done after all roofing and siding/cladding is done...
Same here the inspector usually doesn't make it out on site till the house is at least half sided. The roofer are usually out within 4-6 hours of the roof decking being done. Schedules are tight!

·
GC/carpenter
40,507 Posts
We call framing, electrical, and plumbing all at the same time. We can get framing unless the roof is stacked.

Mike.

·
Pro
169 Posts
Electrical, plumbing, HVAC must be inspected and passed, roof shingled complete, then framing here

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Mixed bag out west. I see most residential framers sheathing after plumb and line. Could be a product of concrete quality of slab on grade or neglect in shimming joist/rim/sole plate of raised floor.
I grout all plates before framing and bolt the sole plate down, frame with a dead plate and shear all walls flat. Stack frame. A bit of work in the beginning but it pays dividends on commercial and multi story structures.
But even then, at some point, have to get out there and install fillers, nail off flyers etc. can usually catch that when the skins are going up and tight schedule inspections to align with the completion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not familiar with the term "dead plate".

Does the dead plate stay or is it removed once the wall is up?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Not familiar with the term "dead plate".

Does the dead plate stay or is it removed once the wall is up?

I’ll detail the slab with the snap and then plate with 3 plates. I haven’t framed myself in many years but it’s how I was taught in the union and what I’ve passed down. Mostly working with 3x or 4x sole plate.
So I’ll plate with 3. Sole plate, dead plate, frame plate.
When the wall is framed, can bump the dead plate on layout and short nail the framing members. Square it and shear it flat, without nailing off the dead plate.
Raise the wall, knock off the dead plate, land it, toe nail framing members to sole plate, nail off shear panel to sole plate.
If it’s a 2x sole plate, which I haven’t seen on a project in 10 years for bearing walls, could grout it then pull it and frame with it. Could do with 3x as well I guess, if guys felt like banging 20’s, which they often do not.
Interior non bearing partition walls I just frame after all the bearing walls are up and the floor/roof structure is completed. Easier to maneuver in the building (or unit) without them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sheathing the walls after they're up is much more difficult in my experience. Doing them flat on the deck presents it's own difficulties I guess but with a few hands on the extra weight is usually do-able.
We're in North West Ohio.

·
Pro
3,296 Posts
I frame, sheet, housewrap, add rakes to gables, etc..to everything I can on the ground. There are tricks to sheeting walls on deck to mitigate out of square walls.

MI, low wind area with no wall sheathing inspections.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

21 - 30 of 30 Posts