Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a while since Ive been on here.

At work today me and my boss were discussing hanging doors. Im one of a few carpenters he's the GC.

He was telling me to stop installing the doors with countersunk 3 inch deck screws because the painter doesn't like to putty the holes.

He told me I should stick to only using the 16g finish nailer.

What do you all think of this? How do you fasten a pre hung interior door?

I like deck screws, they are strong more adjustable during installation and most importantly wont bend like a tiny little nail.

·
Always Learning
8,473 Posts
At a minimum run a long screw through each hinge. We order all our prehungs with the stop loose. No nails holes to fill and a rock solid install.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
I use trim screws.
I love those...excellent for joining cabinet face frames together too. No need to countersink just drill first and ruun em in. I got a whole box of countersinks and can't remember the last time I used one

·
Registered
853 Posts
I predrill with a countersink bit so it's a nice clean hole and screw all my doors. Used trim screws occasionally too. I like the adjustability of the screws, trust the door not to sag and it's how I learned. My thinking is that puttying the holes is likely the single easiest step to building a house so get a new painter if it's too much work for them or do it yourself.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
How many screws are we talking about. 3 holes is too many to fill?
I understand the painter's point of view, here the stops come tacked with a couple nails so you can pull it off by hand. Standard operating procedure is to put your fasteners behind the stop.

·
Artist and not a curator
10,112 Posts
Most all force on a door is at the hinges and strike.

Put screws in the hinges or behind them. Heavy doors should get 2 at the top through the jamb and another into the door. Doesnt hurt to put one behind the strike plate either. After you do that, trim nails are plenty strong for all that they are doing, (keeping jamb from shifting during operation).

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
15 gauge nails. Remove hinge and put screws in behind the hinges. If you put the screws through the hinges before finishing the painters will take them out and jack them up.

IMO its not acceptable to have trim screw size hole on door installs. That is a big chunk of putty that will pop out slightly with any movement or changes in humidity.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts