Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What gives. I am tired of paying high prices on stuff when I can buy it at whole sale price. Where are some good spots to pick up supplies like wood, paint, nails and screws, etc in Little Rock?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Not sure I understand. If you are a builder or tradesperson, you should have no problems getting discounts at suppliers. Finding them should not be difficult, follow the trucks. They do not give discounts to occasional DIY'ers or hobbyist.

·
Making a living
236 Posts
"Whole"sale. Buying the whole lot. If you need nails buy the fifty lb box not one lb at a time. It is much cheaper even at a box store. If you aren't ready to use that quantity of material and have a place to store it. You are going to buy retail amounts

There is no shame in buying something at retail. I factor it into my costs. I do but wholesale though on frequently used items. Very seldom do I buy one pound of something and almost always it is driven by time not money

Here are some steps to finding and working with a wholesaler
1) if you state collects sales tax get a reseller number you'll need it to buy wholesale
2) open the phone book and look up what you need
3) make a list of what you need. These guys deal in volume and may not be open to general knowledge questions. And they aren't there to help you process your decisions. Some won't sell to you unless you are licensed in their specific trade
4) you can expect to pay less with increasing volume of purchases. The co that buys 100k of merchandise is going to pay more than the co that does 1m of volume. The co that buys 50 bucks of material should not expect a discount
5). It should go without saying but I'd be neglect to not mention it. You won't find a faucet or wire nuts at a drywall supplier and you'll embarrass yourself if you ask and remove all doubt to your professional status

·
Nail Driving Fool
554 Posts
The best way I've found to get good discounts is to find a good supplier and run EVERYTHING you do through them. Once they get to know you enough that you are on first name basis with everyone from the guy behind the register to the yard hands you will get discount on everything from a tractor trailer load of lumber to a dozen wire nuts.

And if you want to charge something start an in store account. No one is going to give you a good discount when you swipe a credit card. Credit card companies charge the retailer a percentage for every swipe - there went your discount.

Of course you have to be doing enough volume to be in there a couple times a week.

If you are stuck dealing with Lowes apply for the Lowes Business card. 5% discount plus contractor pricing on a lot of stuff.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts