Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's a tip guys for homedepot purchases. I normally use the HF 20% off coupons at my lowes as they accept them at my stores but HD stopped. But I wanted to buy a thickness planer after just selling my other one. Call the HD online order number and select new sales. Tell them that lowes accept the 20% of coupons and that you want to purchase from HD. They are authorized to give a 15% discount as standard on tools. Something's they can do the 20%. Then you can go pick up from your local store. Not worth the hassle on most stuff but it saved me over $100 on this item compared to buying at normal retail.

·
Registered
403 Posts
HF 20% off coupons
Is HF in your quote referring to Harbor Freight?

What are these 20% off coupons that Lowes and HD do or did accept on or offline?

I get all the Harbor Freight coupon mailers and email.

What am I looking for since HF does not sell the same brands as HD and Lowes in my area?

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WarnerConstInc. said:
While I am all for saving some money, that seems a bit shady.
Not shady as they are just giving you a standard discount. HD would have matched the price I paid for the planer from lowes but it's hassle buying it then taking receipt down to home depot to get a price match. May as well just buy from lowes with the 20% off coupon. Only reason I ended up calling HD was because lowes don't sell the 735x only the 735. HD sell the X model but don't accept the coupons and it's a online only product anyway. They didn't even want the HF coupon code. They said 15% was the standard discount they could give on tools with just asking for discount.

Yeah the coupons are the ones from harbor freights website. They have a 20% of all the time you can print out.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PoleBarnsNY said:
Is HF in your quote referring to Harbor Freight?

What are these 20% off coupons that Lowes and HD do or did accept on or offline?

I get all the Harbor Freight coupon mailers and email.

What am I looking for since HF does not sell the same brands as HD and Lowes in my area?
It don't matter what brand it is because your doing a % discount and not a price match discount. Price match discounts require them both 2 sell same model number items and be in stock. The % off ones don't as it covers almost every product lowes and HD sell.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
WarnerConstInc. said:
Gee I dunno, using a coupon from a place that sells nothing the same as one place and then using that for leverage to get the discount at another, different store.
Its lowes policy to accept competitors coupons. It is upto the manager on shift at that time though if they accept any over 10%. Some managers in lowes don't though. Most have though for me.

I was getting mixed answers online when I first looked into it so called and emailed them. Their response both times was its upto the manager working that shift.

Here's the email from a while back

Good morning Barri,

Thank you for your email regarding the Lowe's policy for the acceptance of competitor's coupons.

The acceptance of competitor's coupons is at the discretion of store management. I'll be glad to send a request to your store to see what accommodations they are able to offer, please just reply with the following information:

The address of your preferred Lowe's store, www.lowes.com/storelocator
Your best contact time and number
Your mailing address
I value your business, and I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Thank you,

Susan A.

Lowe's Customer Care

Need some retail therapy after that Thanksgiving meal but cant get out of the recliner? We can help! Give us a call at 877GOLOWES (877-465-6937). Well be open from 7:00 a.m. to 1:00 a.m., EST to help with all your shopping needs! (Lowes store locations will be closed)

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
Matching a competitors price I understand, but HF is not a competitor, they sell dog chit. Buying a brand name tool for the price of dog chit does not seem right.
Just sayin'

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
m1911 said:
Matching a competitors price I understand, but HF is not a competitor, they sell dog chit. Buying a brand name tool for the price of dog chit does not seem right. Just sayin'
They ain't matching brand name tools to dog chit though. I'm not getting a dewalt thickness planer for Chicago pneumatic thickness planer prices. its a % of retail so make no difference as long as they are classed as a competitor and they accept the coupons. HD online didn't even require a coupon for the 15% off but there model add tables and extra blades so 15% of worked out better than 20% of through lowes.

Also HF has some stuff better than loses has. All depends what your buying.

·
Carolina Surface Prep
220 Posts
While I am all for saving some money, that seems a bit shady.
Two points to consider......

If a customer pulled something like that after we had offered a proposal, we would probably tell them to go pound sand and then start a thread about it on CT.

We do all we can to beat down the big box stores on price, eroding their ability to pay a decent wage, and then complain about the people they employ, claiming they are idiots and know nothing about our business.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rob1954 said:
Two points to consider...... If a customer pulled something like that after we had offered a proposal, we would probably tell them to go pound sand and then start a thread about it on CT. We do all we can to beat down the big box stores on price, eroding their ability to pay a decent wage, and then complain about the people they employ, claiming they are idiots and know nothing about our business.

You do know its their policy. Not the customers policy. I read a little a while back about how it got started. They done a test period with a few stores and it bought in a lot more customers so they expanded it to every store. So if anything it allows them to employ even more people than they would without it.

Also if I offered a 10% discount to my customers its not my customers being shady if they use the coupon.

·
Carolina Surface Prep
220 Posts
"I normally use the HF 20% off coupons at my lowes as they accept them at my stores but HD stopped. But I wanted to buy a thickness planer after just selling my other one. Call the HD online order number and select new sales. Tell them that lowes accept the 20% of coupons and that you want to purchase from HD. They are authorized to give a 15% discount as standard on tools. Something's they can do the 20%. Then you can go pick up from your local store."

That's a lot different than using a 10% off coupon.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have also used the Home Depot 20% of coupons in lowes. Even used one in Sears once to buy a appliance HD didn't sell.

I don't see it as shady though. Either I get the 20% off in the store who gives out them coupons or I use it in other stores where their policy's allow them. What's stupid is Home Depot stopped taking their own 20% off coupons around here but lowes still takes them.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Rob1954 said:
"I normally use the HF 20% off coupons at my lowes as they accept them at my stores but HD stopped. But I wanted to buy a thickness planer after just selling my other one. Call the HD online order number and select new sales. Tell them that lowes accept the 20% of coupons and that you want to purchase from HD. They are authorized to give a 15% discount as standard on tools. Something's they can do the 20%. Then you can go pick up from your local store." That's a lot different than using a 10% off coupon.
Its a coupon. What's it matter if its 99% off or 1% off. If their policy is to accept competitors coupons then its their choice. If they lost money buy taking them they wouldn't take them lol.

They don't have to take them. Like I said HD stopped taking their own 20% off coupons around here. They are funny about taking competitors ones but as long as they are the printed type they take them.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Two points to consider......

If a customer pulled something like that after we had offered a proposal, we would probably tell them to go pound sand and then start a thread about it on CT.

We do all we can to beat down the big box stores on price, eroding their ability to pay a decent wage, and then complain about the people they employ, claiming they are idiots and know nothing about our business.
huh? I know a guy who works at home depot making $17/hr. and he said all the managers get huge quarterly bonuses for hitting their numbers. a lot of them make 6 figures.

also to anyone who's saying it's "shady" or whatever else is dumb. it's THEIR policy. no one is forcing them to do anything. it's like how they exchange/refund broken tools. I do it all the time. exchanged a broken fatmax tape for a new one at HD the other day. walked up to the returns counter "hey, this broke." "okay, go grab a new one off the shelf." and that was that.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Lowes and / or HD has a policy that is their idea to generate more business from customers and it's shady for customers to utilize their policy for the customers benefit?

Interesting concept if not ridiculous.

Sometime when I feel bad for the person that cuts my hair cheap, I give them a tip that is about twice what they ask for. Other than that, I pay retailers what they ask me to pay. Never more. I am pretty sure that isn't shady when it was their idea how to price and promote their brands and products. I will ask my pastor.

Sure we would tell a customer to pound sand unless It was our policy and then objecting to it would be very weird.

Adjectives are getting in the way.

Tools = Tools

Retailer = Retailer

Chit tools not = to OK tools

Off price retailer not = to Big box chitty service ok tools retailer

·
Registered
9,601 Posts
it's THEIR policy. no one is forcing them to do anything. it's like how they exchange/refund broken tools. I do it all the time. exchanged a broken fatmax tape for a new one at HD the other day. walked up to the returns counter "hey, this broke." "okay, go grab a new one off the shelf." and that was that.
Their return policy is a whole issue in itself, I know someone who owns a co. that supplied HD with product, they used to get tons of returns with consumer damage and no damage at all. They cannot resell the items that are returned, HD does not take the loss, the supplier does.
In the mean time HD charges the supplier high return shipping and storage fees until the products are sent back to the supplier.

·
Registered
403 Posts
exchanged a broken fatmax tape for a new one at HD the other day. walked up to the returns counter "hey, this broke." "okay, go grab a new one off the shelf." and that was that.
Holy :censored:. that sounds shady. You should be ashamed of yourself taking advantage of these poor unsuspecting billion dollar retailers like that. :laughing:

This place is amazing. OP comes on here to explain a policy that saves contractors money and he gets kicked in the nucking futs and has to explain how he isn't phucking over a billion dollar company that encouraged him to buy at a policy discount so they freely admit has resulted in them gaining market share and bonuses for well paid employees.

Suppliers don't have to do business with Lowes or HD. It's business.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm interested now in what people would do here.
You have a 20% off coupon from a local competitor. You see a product in the competitors store you like. Do you

A. Keep the competitors coupon and only use it in the store it was issued from but pay full price for the product at the other store.

B. Use it in the store you see the product because its their policy to accept these competitors coupons from other retailers.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts