1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
Residential General Contractor
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all…
I’m new here to the forum.
We have a decent project we just bid on and the homeowner wants me to “at my leisure” hand over all of my sub contractor bids.
Never had this request and it makes me feel uneasy.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I never break my bids apart in any way unless I am open to the client picking it apart and dropping pieces of the job or trying to go around me to get someone else to do the work.
Nope. That's confidential information.
Thank you. I usually go with my gut, but wanted to make sure I wasn’t being unreasonable.

·
Super Moderator
30,022 Posts
What Tom said, if it's cost plus that's their prerogative to see and they would see in invoice form anyway. Fixed price, nope

Reactions: LCC13

·
Design Build
9,255 Posts
I’ve seen that when the client wants to be their own builder. If they can find out the people that you were going to use, they assume they’re going to save at least 20% by replacing you and managing the subs themselves. That idea had to have crossed your mind, correct?

Reactions: LCC13

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Correct!! Especially since his father in law is a contractor in the mountains. My guys wouldn’t do the job without me, but I don’t want to put them in a place to take a phone call like that. Denver is pretty small when you’re in this trade.

·
Registered
Unbuilder of Eyesores
1,797 Posts
Fixed price bid and they want to ses your homework? Whatever they’re up to, it won’t be in your favor to show them.

Maybe they want to steal your subs and gc it themselves.
Maybe they want to chisel you down.
Maybe you came in lower than their preferred builder and they want to share your subs with them to get the price down and leave you out in the cold.

·
Registered
Custom
13,964 Posts
Hey all…
I’m new here to the forum.
We have a decent project we just bid on and the homeowner wants me to “at my leisure” hand over all of my sub contractor bids.
Never had this request and it makes me feel uneasy.
Thoughts?
You didn't ask why or express the proprietary nature of the request? One of the reasons why people use a GC is for one-stop accountability and access to their resources and relationships they've developed over years of being in business... that comes at a cost...

1 - 20 of 51 Posts