Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided it would be best in many circumstances to get a signed disclaimer. A lawn mower deck I don't care about but anything like an antique or an non replacable family hairloom autos and such.

I welcom all input on what I may have missed or that which you re phrase. Perhaps some of you have a form you use that you could also share.

I hope all are having a great holliday

Glen

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
Looks good to me and very well written. The only thing I saw was in the top "goal" section, you have "with in" and it should be "within". Don't know how picky you want people to get.

I especially like the section about masking in section 7. Seems like you got all the bases covered.

·
Mr Blaster
75 Posts
Unfortunately it has come to this, covering your butt with paperwork. Looks good. Do you have this on a two part carbon copy, or just a sheet you keep once signed from the customer?

MrBlaster

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I havn't printed it yet. I'll finish with it soon then I have to decide. Could be on the back of an invoice to save paper. It will state that it was signed before the work was begun so that no one can say they were handed it after when they went to pay and didn't know about it. People lie like mad in court. Two part because my business customers always want a reciept anyway. I have to make a new invoice as well. I learned some things from this court case, even if I don't win. Their lawyer proposed that I should have stoped blasting when, and the way she put it was, I saw there was more filler than I thought there would be. Of course I didn't have any preconcieved notion of what there would be and my job was to blast to clean metal so why would I call them? It isn't odd to find body filler on an auto body part. I tried to mention that they didn't ask me to show them in stages but I don't know if the judge payed attention to me. On the new invoice it will have a space for special instructions. If they have none they will check a box that says, "I have no special instructions" That should do it.

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
Glen,
I’m going to add this to my assault of paper work.
The day of a hand shake is over.
It’s short and sweet, to the point and covers your ass!

a copy for you and them is a good Idea, Plus its very businesslike.
I think if they give you any crap or shy away from it then you didn’t need the job.

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's what I'm thinking too. I'm also working on the invoice. I'm putting uple of check boxes. One for pre priced. The other for a set labor plus material estimate. Maybe circle which media is being used or combo. Then what they are buying for the money. As in a full blast however much material it takes, suitible for powder coating and other specialized coatings. Or a basic blast for the one price where most paint and rust on outward surfaces is removed, some paint and rust may remain in tight and less accesible areas, suitible for repaint by conventional means. That's for when you start to talk price and say the all popular "it don't have to be perfect" . You can always go back in to it for a better job if they want more done but you can add on to the price. And a place for special requests like if they want you to let them check it out part way or what ever and a description of the work if you need it like only blast the front half. If there is nothing they check a box that states "I have no special request.

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I the undersigned, am the owner or authorized person responsible for this item and having first read and understood the risks and recommendations as outlined in the Media blasting agreement give permission for work to commence.

__________________________________ ______
Name Date
This is a modification I sugest for the sign line. It indicates both that they are responsible because any employee of a shop may drop off an auto and the owner might say they shouldn't have signed it and also that they have signed it before the work so they can't just say you didn't show it to them untill after. I may have this written only on the front of my invoice because if I print this on the back then you can't really sign it back there.

·
Mobile Sandblasting
672 Posts
Another thing, why not patent the invoice and sell it? I'd buy a specialty invoice book if someone had already had it printed up with the invoice on front and agreement on back. I find myself writing some of that on my invoices anyway. It would save time and head aches if I had a CYA all in one.

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kill I think I just gave it to everyone for free but you are welcom to send me any amount of cash you see fit. If you need a different subject covered for your business I would be glad to help you with it. Of course then I have to have you sign a diclaimer for the use of my disclaimer. Lol

·
2,018 Posts
I may have this written only on the front of my invoice because if I print this on the back then you can't really sign it back there.
Have them sign the front, they see the price and agree to it.
On Back, Have a box to initial it, this will show they read it & saw it.
They can’t come back and say I didn’t see it on back?

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll have to work on a boat agreement too. It helps seeing what you put in yours.

I have to see if a print service can do it on the back, Staples can not.

Here is my attempt a new invoice
Better blast
Media blasting contract

_______________________ _________________________________ ______________
name / company Address Phone

General blasting

Item description __________________________________________________________________________

Blasting level - Premium ( near white clean metal ) Basic blast ( paint / surface rust removal )
All areas as clean as possible. Some paint or light rust may be
Visible in tight areas.

All structural metal items are blasted with abrasive unless otherwise indicated

Non abrasive media choice Walnut Sodium bicarbonate ( soda ) water solublae

Special requests ( none ) _____________________________________________________________________________

Set price $_________________ OR Set labor $___________ + material cost estimate $______________
End cost dependent upon media choice
Blast level and items conditions.

Auto section Make and model _____________________________________

Auto exteriors are blasted using non abrasive media unless otherwise requested

I prefer the use of only an abrasive to lower costs I request that abrasive is used as necessary to eliminate rust

( in either case please refer to the media blasting agreement section 4 before making choice )

Structural components

Structural components are blasted with abrasive media unless otherwise requested

Please blast only the parts indicated Trunk - Passenger comp. - engine comp – Jams - dash - int. door

Undercarriage - Remove under coating Blast it al

Special requests ( none )______________________________________________________________________________________

Set labor $ ____________ + material cost estimate $ ____________________ End cost dependent upon choices of media blast
level and items conditions

__________________________________ ____________
signature Date

·
Mobile Sandblasting
672 Posts
I have noticed that you put your labor price and material estimate. I know soda is expensive but most of the jobs I do I have real low material cost an a very short blast time ie. 1 to 3 hours, I guess what I am saying is that I don't want the customer to know my material cost as it may only be $60.00. and I'm charging them $200.00 for the total job. I know it will only take about an hour to blast. That's $140.00 labor that I don't want the customer know about. Sure some jobs I don't make as much, but on most I come out pretty good. Is this something I am doing wrong here? What is your set laber cost per hour? Do you include media+labor?

·
2,018 Posts
Instead of putting this
Set labor $ _______+ material cost estimate $ ______
Change it for your own needs, as a set price:
Total Set Price________________­­­___
( or )
Total Estimated price ­­­______________

The paper is just a draft, change it any way to conform to your needs.
The one I posted for boats was giving to me by the man that sold me my equipment. I changed it to my needs.
See something missing change it and post, I’m sure there’s a hundred ways of writing this.
At some point we will all get it Golden!

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Kill I do it different every job. I totally get what you are saying and that's why I often just give the set price on smaller things. Sometimes I do a job quick right after they drop it off but I won't call them for a few hours so they don't know how easy it went and want a discount. Sometimes when you just don't know how much you will need I like to set the labor and then I can relax and blast without the panic you can get when you think it's taking way more than you priced for. I got tired of thinking about how much I should charge what if it's not enough if I add more it will sound like a high price. Now I just ask my self the real question. What do I want for me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts