Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wandering if any hvac contractors doing direct marketing right now , and what kind of response you are getting?

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
i was wandering if any hvac contractors doing direct marketing right now , and what kind of response you are getting?
A friend of mine who ownes an HVAC company mails out postcards. This creates a ton of business for him but remember it's the message that matters. If the message is poor you're no better off than if you sent out a blank sheet of paper.

Direct mail works great but it can also fail. The message is key!

Mike

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i ,did mean mailings , i really dont have the time to do door to door yet , but i did read your suggestion on d2d mike , that is great , i will borrow one of my nephews for that , and thanks for the blog , already read most of it.

mike can you ask your friend what percentage of response to expect for tune-ups at this time

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
i ,did mean mailings , i really dont have the time to do door to door yet , but i did read your suggestion on d2d mike , that is great , i will borrow one of my nephews for that , and thanks for the blog , already read most of it.

mike can you ask your friend what percentage of response to expect for tune-ups at this time
I already know this because we talk about marketing in our weekly meetings. He started out at about 3%.

After constantly changing and tracking he is now up to 7%. He is still working on it so that can change.

Mike

·
windows & siding
844 Posts
A friend of mine who ownes an HVAC company mails out postcards. This creates a ton of business for him but remember it's the message that matters. If the message is poor you're no better off than if you sent out a blank sheet of paper.

Direct mail works great but it can also fail. The message is key!

Mike
I completely disagree. A poor piece done consistently will outperform the best piece done sporadically every time. The key to direct mail is consistency and repetition, as well as hitting the same "target area" with other mediums, like yard signs, etc.... Obviously you do want a strong message, but again, consistency is key.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I completely disagree. A poor piece done consistently will outperform the best piece done sporadically every time. The key to direct mail is consistency and repetition, as well as hitting the same "target area" with other mediums, like yard signs, etc.... Obviously you do want a strong message, but again, consistency is key.
That makes no sense whatsoever in a time where everybody is sending crap in the mail. The frequency of distribution wasn't even mentioned, your just assuming it. Think about what you just said, "a poor piece done consistently".

This is the very reason consumers are sick of marketing and garbage they get in the mail. If you want to be consistent, be consistent with quality. That's just crazy talk.

Good luck though.:thumbsup:

Mike

·
windows & siding
844 Posts
For one, open a book or listen to ANY marketing professional and they will tell you the same thing (See Shawn McCadden, Michael Gerber, Brad Sugars, etc) . The frequency of distribution was brought up by me. You claimed that the message is key, and my response is that consistency is key. Direct mail is a misnomer because it is not "direct marketing" like canvassing, telemarketing, etc. It is branding, and it's about getting eyeballs on your brand. You said yourself that people get tons of junkmail, and you are absolutely right. Most mail is tossed before they ever even get to the "magical message". What they do see is the logo. Then the see it again in a mailing a couple weeks later, then they see it on the yard sign in front of the neighbors house, then they see it on the doorhanger on their door, and so on and so forth. It is said that it takes seven exposures to your logo/brand before it even registers in a consumers mind. But then 6 months later when they are thinking about buying windows, they remember it.... It's a system and it works. I don't attempt to take credit for the idea, but I practice it with great success..... Most people start out sending direct mail pieces here and there with no rhyme or reason, then they wonder why they aren't getting results and keep "focusing" on the message, when in reality, that is not the problem. I'm sorry if I stepped on your toes, but "the message is everything" is poor advice.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:eek:
I already know this because we talk about marketing in our weekly meetings. He started out at about 3%.

After constantly changing and tracking he is now up to 7%. He is still working on it so that can change.

Mike

wow , pretty good , are these sent to his existing customers to get that hi of a response?

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
:eek:

wow , pretty good , are these sent to his existing customers to get that hi of a response?
He sends these out twice a year.

This is exactly why homesealed is wrong about frequency, the mailings have a very strong and compelling message.

Beyond that the mailings are part of a total marketing package. The frequency is not chosen because he read it in a book. The frequency is always dictated based on marketing strategy. Marketing strategy is often times dictated by dollars available.

After years of running a very strong and growing business the owner has kept very good track of his advertising and because of this is he's able to create a quality message. Everything works together like a big machine.

He is very well known in his market and gets a lot of respect in the community and this took some time to develop. The % that you see is the total response done on the mailer and that includes more than just a sale.

You have to always look at the lifetime value of the customer so what his marketing is focused on is cultivating loyalty. You can't do that by doing poor quality mailing at a high frequency. Leave that to the hacks.

The reason he doesn't need a high frequency is because it's a quality message and he people trust that, in fact It's safe to say customers are actually protective of him becuase he is known for a quality reputation. If his message was anything but quality his reputation would be tarnished for life.

If your message is poor that makes people angy so the last thing you want to do is send something that makes people angry.....then increase the dosage.:laughing:

The reason why certain people have high frequency in mailings when it comes to local contractors is because they have a failed marketing model and a failed marketing strategy.

The hvac company i'm talking about has one of the greatest marketing strategies I have seen for a small company.

I myself don't like mailers so I don't do them. I like a much different approach. I like marketing for free because that creates a better customer......that's also a whole differnet topic

Mike

·
windows & siding
844 Posts
Obviously the piece that you send to your past clients should be far different (and part of a different system) than one sent to a targeted area. In one instance you are trying to create recognition, in the other you are sending a message to people who already know who you are. Don't confuse the two. The OP asked for an opinion on direct mail marketing, not referral marketing. Both are important and can be very effective when done properly, but are very different concepts... Although, what do I know? I'm not a self-appointed guru.:rolleyes: ... I think that I'll just stick to the principles taught in marketing 101.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Obviously the piece that you send to your past clients should be far different (and part of a different system) than one sent to a targeted area. In one instance you are trying to create recognition, in the other you are sending a message to people who already know who you are. Don't confuse the two. The OP asked for an opinion on direct mail marketing, not referral marketing. Both are important and can be very effective when done properly, but are very different concepts... Although, what do I know? I'm not a self-appointed guru.:rolleyes: ... I think that I'll just stick to the principles taught in marketing 101.:thumbsup:
You should stop tring to be so defensive. If you can't bring something of value to the table without getting in a pissing match than don't come to the table.

He is trying to build a quality business and is asking for help. Your comments about telling people that quality isn't right is simply wrong. If you would like to discuss this further do it in private and keep it off his thread. Soulutions are all that matters, ego has no place .

Your opinion about self appointed gurus is simply your own version. That is also irrelevant to this thread.

What I try and offer are real solutions. I work hard to give real world examples and things that people can actually use in real life and not fantasy land. Not many people are willing to offer much past a simple opinion and I do my best to do just that. If you don't like it than don't comment.

In businees my actions are backed up by real numbers on real spreadsheets. I don't guess, my numbers tell me the truth. Maybe it's not for you and maybe what you do works fine, if that's that e case than start producing real examples and start helping others with real tangible things they can do. Opinions are a dime a dozen.

Direct marketing might have a great definition in a college book but this isn't college, it's construction. Call it potato salad if you want, I don't get all worried about names and definitions, results are what matter. And when building a business results are what keep you alive.

Mike

·
windows & siding
844 Posts
Like I said, sorry if I stepped on your toes, but if I see something that is incorrect, I'm going to point it out as such. I find it truly hilarious that you accuse me of getting "defensive", and "not bringing anything to the table" when you are the one who is having a difficult time handling yourself here, nor have you actually responded to any of my points. Further, PLEASE stop attempting to put words in my mouth, as I have NEVER advocated poor quality. In fact, everytime I mentioned consistency, it was with the disclaimer that quality is desirable, but just not as important as consistency in direct mailing to new potential clients... As I said before, I'm not claiming to have some secret answer, I'm only putting out there what 99% of those who know what the heck they are talking about say about the subject (Not just myself or my spreadsheet).... The funny (and extremely ironic) thing about is that if you could see past your own inflated ego, you'd see that our views probably aren't far off. What this conversation has fleshed out is that you were initially referring to mailing to past clients, where my comments were directed toward "cold mailing". You also mentioned a marketing "system" as being crucial, which I had already mentioned in a previous post. Get over yourself. You are not the most brilliant man on CT, nor am I. The difference is I acknowledge it, and post only when I have something relevant to say rather than to hear my own voice.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Again, produce something of value. Don't argue, don't get upset, produce results. Lay it on the line and give him something to use. People need help not opinions that carry with it pent up anger.

People are judged on actions not opinions. Threads are great when people work together, read your first post.

I try and help a lot of people here and offer suggestions they can actually use. If you don't like it than don't post.

In almost all of my posts I'm very adiment about explaining that people should do their own homework and their own research. What works for me may not work for others. Most people understand that, if you can't then I really can't help you understand this.

It's unfortunate this thread took this direction, that is one thing I do know. Give the man some help, the proof is always in your actions. It has nothing to do with me or you.

Mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.