Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have bathroom remodeling project in luxury co-op building where no door hangers and such allowed. I would want to send neighbors a postcard with invitation to see our current site at there neighbors and get a free estimate for there own project. Any ideas (particularly on wording)?

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
If it is luxury Co-op I would skip the post card and send an invitation, such as on par with a wedding invitation doing exactly what you have said, an exclusive invitation to visit unit XXX to view recently custom remodeled bathroom.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mike Finley said:
If it is luxury Co-op I would skip the post card and send an invitation, such as on par with a wedding invitation doing exactly what you have said, an exclusive invitation to visit unit XXX to view recently custom remodeled bathroom.
That’s actually a great idea. Probably something in hand-addressed envelope (usually get s to be open) would double my postage though… Anyways, I still need something for direct mail around sites. Any advice how to phrase it?

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Quickly I think something along these lines:

Dear Pamela and Tony Smith

You are cordially invited to view and inspect a remodeling project recently completed and available for your viewing at unit 1234. If you have been considering updating your dwelling don't miss this unique opportunity which will afford you the rare chance to question the designer/builder about material choices, design techniques, state of the art fixtures and your budget considerations while being able to scrutinize the work of an actual completed remodel.

This is a limited opportunity please RSVP by 10/21/2004 by contacting our appointment setter at 555-555-5555 for your private showing.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Mike that might be a little lengthy message for an invitation.

Dear Pamela and Tony Smith

You are cordially invited to view and inspect a remodeling project recently completed and available for your viewing at unit 1234.

This is a limited opportunity please RSVP by 10/21/2004 by contacting our appointment setter at 555-555-5555 for your private showing.

That's what I'd do. Simple and straight to the point, and not alot of reading for those with short attention spans :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You are just priceless. Thank you.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I still need idea for generic post card we can use around various sites. I vision it as a full color card with a picture of nice addition project (one side of old house with sketch and one with built addition) taking most of the space two smaller pictures of bathroom and kitchen placed as collage and a strong hook sentence. That hook sentence is a big question. Should I borrow something like “Do you know have the best kitchen on the street?” and “Why your neighbor should have best bathrooms?”? Or something less stimulating like “It’s time to remodel”? Any other ideas?

I’m totally stuck with the text for other side. Since we have 2.5 sec. to grab homeowner attention I would want to use 3-4 strong sentences. I thought of something like there is a great opportunity to see why your neighbors picked the contractor around. Since we are in the area we can stop by for an estimate at your convenience. With this card $750 off project and free blueprint with any change of floor plan. Our estimates are always sweet; we come with a box of Godiva truffles.

Actually free blueprint come with estimate (only when we change the layout).

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Love the visual on the front, I think that would work for you. If you are going to go with a question type headline I would keep it simple with something like: Ready To Remodel? as big as you can get it across the top of the front of the post card.

For the back I would keep it either very simple or very wordy your choice, both are as effective as the other, but no in between. Keep the message effective and choose your voice, conversational and personal or 3rd party professional

All your message needs to say is 2 things: What you can do for your customer and a call to action to contact you.

My name is #####, I remodel homes just like yours. I transform old, out-dated and disfunctionally designed houses into dream homes one room at a time.

Licensed & Insured
450 years of experience, in biz since 1904 ect...blah blah blah

$750 discount with this card.

Call me today at 555-555-5555 for a free, no pressure consultation.

I wouldn't bother telling them about the chocolates, it is a nice touch, but it isn't going to make anybody call you over another person who isn't offering the chocolates. Keep it as a nice surprise when you get there. As far as being in the area line - it makes more sense to you than a potential customer, they could careless if you are in the area if they are just getting a unsolicited postcard. If it is just a postcard that is going to arrive in the mail it is no different than any other advertisement from anybody else.

If you want to market to neighbors surrounding a project that you have going, I would get a yard sign with a flyer box attached, and I would door to door the surrounding houses with a flyer or a door hanger that gives you room to present your message and invite them that way. A post card I think is just too small and you need to be too generic in the message since you are printing them in bulk to be price effective and the message has to apply to so many situations.

Everybody who is spending hard earned money on direct mail should get a copy of Herschell Gordon Lewis' book "Direct mail copy that sells!" It will clear up alot of confusion and allow you to focus, get a clear direction and become effective.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Mike. I just ordered that book. Looks like I went too far with those cards. It's all because we are not allowed to hang anything in the buildings. Don't even know what to do now, my designer already working on it. Good I did not pay for writing.

Now I’ll need help to write the doorhager.
Any ideas on text ? Any ideas design-wise?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts