Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

dimming neon?

29K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Neonworks of Cincinnati 
#1 ·
A local club I'm involved with asked me about dimming a couple neon lamps. These are the typical neon fixtures you see hanging on the wall at a bar used for promoting a specific drink. I don't know, I haven't done anything with neons before. Is there a dimmer that will do the job?

#2 ·
Yes. Determine if the transformer is magnetic or electronic and choose the proper dimmer.

One code issue you will have is that the signs you described generally plug into a receptacle and you can't install a dimmer to operate a recepacle.

#4 · (Edited)
You can dim the newer electronic neon transformers with a special dimmer. http://firehouseneon.biz/items/neon-power-supplies/plug-in-neon-dimmer-electronic-wcde-detail.htm

You cannot dim the primary of an ordinary neon transformer. This is much like trying ot dim an ordinary fluorescent light ballast. It will "sorta work", but only over a very tiny range. It takes a special neon transformer to dim neon, and would be pretty darned expensive to refit into an older iron core transformer in a beer sign that was probably free to the club anyhow.

#8 · (Edited)
That's probably not much of a problem, we could add a dimmer to an in-line box. I think MD is on track though. These are the beer type though not old. One is brand new and to bright for the bar area. I guess I can take a look at the type of transformer.

The link MD supplied has a simple solution for the non-dim-able receptacle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.