Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a problem in my home with lights dimming. I have checked the ground connection to the cold water system, main panel for loose connections, meter socket for loose connections. I was unable to check the ground connection at the rod outside because its buried too deep. I performed a test using a 1250 watt hair dryer to put a load on a branch circuit that was on phase A. The voltage without the hair dryer on was 121.3, when I turned the hair dryer on, the voltage dropped to 119.8. I performed the same test of phase B and the voltage was 122.6 with the hair dryer off and 121.4 when the hair dryer was turned on. I also checked the voltage across A and B phase, it was 243.9, then I turned the hair dryer on and the voltage dropped to 242.8. I called the power company, and they told me if they can't find the problem, I would be billed for the crew's time. Any input from you on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

The testing was performed with a fluke 87 true rms multimeter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,606 Posts
I'll let an electrician answer.

But, please sign your posts so we know who you are...
Better yet, Register!

Thanks
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unregistered said:
I'm having a problem in my home with lights dimming. I have checked the ground connection to the cold water system, main panel for loose connections, meter socket for loose connections. I was unable to check the ground connection at the rod outside because its buried too deep. I performed a test using a 1250 watt hair dryer to put a load on a branch circuit that was on phase A. The voltage without the hair dryer on was 121.3, when I turned the hair dryer on, the voltage dropped to 119.8. I performed the same test of phase B and the voltage was 122.6 with the hair dryer off and 121.4 when the hair dryer was turned on. I also checked the voltage across A and B phase, it was 243.9, then I turned the hair dryer on and the voltage dropped to 242.8. I called the power company, and they told me if they can't find the problem, I would be billed for the crew's time. Any input from you on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

The testing was performed with a fluke 87 true rms multimeter.
do the lights dim only when major appliances come on??? if so it sounds like a voltage problem not with the power co. but the wire size (awg) feeding the major appliances.ex--a/c, heat, dry,H2O heater maby. question are the appliances far from the power sorce?? make sure your service conductors are the proper size (2/0--3/0--4/0--500kcmil etc............
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unregistered said:
do the lights dim only when major appliances come on??? if so it sounds like a voltage problem not with the power co. but the wire size (awg) feeding the major appliances.ex--a/c, heat, dry,H2O heater maby. question are the appliances far from the power sorce?? make sure your service conductors are the proper size (2/0--3/0--4/0--500kcmil etc............
The lights will dim when the well pump turns on ,clothes dryer.I can plug a hand held hair dryer into any receptical in the house and the lights will dim.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unregistered said:
The lights will dim when the well pump turns on ,clothes dryer.I can plug a hand held hair dryer into any receptical in the house and the lights will dim.
Iforgot to mention that the service is 200amps and the feeder size is 4/0 aluminum.All connections are tight .
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top