Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am remodeling my master bedroom, and would like to add a multi location dimmer to control two table lamps on a dresser. due to it being a multi location dimmer a tabletop plug in dimmer is out of the question. lutron at one time sold a special outlet that you would need to splice a new plug on to your lamps and it was a proprietary system so it would pass code, because it wasn't possible to plug any other device into the outlet. I haven't been able to find this product or anything like it. my question is would it be okay wiring a regular outlet to the dimmers, so long as it was 1) clearly labeled 2)hidden behind the dresser with both lamps plugged in and 3)removed when i move out of the house. this is something i wouldn't do in someones elses house but knowing im the only one that would ever move the dresser and have acsses to the outlets i would feel safe knowing nothing but the lamps will ever be plugged in. my question is if it would be safe in terms of possibly starting a fire or something like that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes that's basically correct, the Dimmer will be a lutron multi location one so it can be dimmed from either location, if i was just using a standard 3 way setup i could have used one of those tabletop dimmers that plugs in

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Mike this is an excellent job for a lighting control system:

IE Lutron's Radio RA2 system:

Or Control4 Zigbee System:

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
^^ (not actual size, I should have shrunk that pic or found a smaller one)

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,472 Posts
You cannot use a standard dimmer to control a receptacle. 404.14(E)

Reactions: griz

·
Super Moderator
24,087 Posts
This is technical code stuff. :eek:
How much can this be debated??????:party:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As far as home control goes oh how i would love to set up some radiora or a control 4 in the room, or even a grafik eye but im trying to keep the price low. And i know it is against code, i can only imagine what would happen if a vacuum or even worse a new flat panel tv happend to get plugged into a dimmed outlet. But i know that wouldn't happen because i would be the only one to ever move the dresser. And i would be sure to replace the dimmers with a three way switches when i move out of the house. I was just wondering if it would fry the dimmers or be a possible fire risk. i found the lutron product that i think might bring it up to code. It sells for 30 bucks.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,472 Posts
........But i know that wouldn't happen because ...........
Like we've never heard that before.

You want to know how many times I've heard, "You won't believe what I just found.... Just who in their right mind would do such a thing?"?

·
Celtic's #1 Fan
2,582 Posts
It's obvious it wasn't obvious to the OP. ;)
lutron at one time sold a special outlet that you would need to splice a new plug on to your lamps and it was a proprietary system so it would pass code, because it wasn't possible to plug any other device into the outlet.
he knows it's not legal, he just thought there was a loophole...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You all bring up good points, i don't do things against code in clients homes why should i do it in my own. I picked up what lutron calls a Duplex for Dimming Outlet this morning. Lutron claims that it is "specifically designed to mechanically reject all NEMA standard plugs and thus can not be used for any other device (fan, heater, vacuum, radio, etc.). These receptacles will only accept the special mating Lutron replacement plug for dimming use (RP-FDU). The result is an NEC® compliant way to control a portable lamp with a dimmer" It was on the pricey end, but i would rather do it the right way.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Though technically not code complaint, I don't see a big issue if you were to use a rare plug set, like a NEMA 7-15, a type of connection matings for 277v single phase, which is NOT found anywhere that is not fed with 480Y/277v power.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lutron HFDU

the outlet you're looking for is a lutron HFDU.

just installed a few of these, they are nice, and expensive.

just search Lutron HFDU
i cant post links yet.

·
Registered
853 Posts
the outlet you're looking for is a lutron HFDU.

just installed a few of these, they are nice, and expensive.

just search Lutron HFDU
i cant post links yet.
I don't know what the wholesale price is on it, but other than a minor code compliance issue, it looks like using a NEMA 7-15 277v connector set is a better deal. The HFDU is non-industry standard, so it might get discontinued whenever they feel like it.

The 277v socket is allowed for use on 347v in Canaduh despite the possibility of accidental plugging of 277v only fixture, so I don't see why it wouldn't be okay for residential use for dimmed circuit. The probability of 277v equipment finding their way to homes can't be high.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts