Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Interior Remodeling
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any suggestions? I need to start getting better pictures and getting them on my computer. Been using my iPhone 5 but its scratched and pretty sure it's filled about 1/2-3/4 way of dust and I hate it. Looking for something that takes an sd card. I don't know anything about cameras so any info on what to look for or say away from would help.

·
Super Moderator
10,604 Posts
480 Sparky would be the guy to tell you. Gonna have to put in the time to learn how to use it properly also.

·
Interior Remodeling
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured there would be a learning curve with it which is fine. I just need some more professional looking pictures, for both work and family/play. I know a lot more goes into it than a good camera but its a start

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,581 Posts
A couple years ago I bought the Sony A33 (for the same reason you’re looking – plus I was tired of paying for professional work). I think I got the camera and a couple different lenses for about $600. I don’t think the A33 is available anymore – there’s a new name for it – but I’m happy with it.

I take all my own pictures and post to the website DaVinciRemodeling.net. If you’re looking for better – hire a professional. 480 and Leo are great resources for using the equipment and computer aided manipulation.

You'll also need a good tripod and a few other accessories - plan on am initial investment of $500 and a grand ($500 additional) over the next few months.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
If you want to take interior shots, you need a good wide angle lens, and interior means low light, so a tripod for longer exposures.

·
Registered
12,344 Posts
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/eos-rebel-t3i-digital-slr-camera-with-18-55mm-is-lens/1980124.p?id=1218304066943&skuId=1980124&st=categoryid$pcmcat180400050000&cp=1&lp=2

Something like this will do anything you need. It takes as good a picture as some of the more expensive Canon's at a great price.

http://www.dpreview.com/products/canon/slrs/canon_eos600d

Wireless flash control will allow you to upgrade your flash system for doing great interior shots. It also does video, so it can do double duty.

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
I use a small kodak P&S Camara for the "working pictures" and my Nikon D5100 SLR for finals. Taking a SLR Camara in during construction is a little to risky for me,.....JMPO .....

The P&S does a good job for these pictures, clear and well defined but it will not allow images to be saved in RGB format. However it is small,compact and can quickly take pictures and then put it away in my pocket.

JMPOV,

B,

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
If you don't want the size of a DSLR, look into one of the compact mirrorless cameras like the Sony NEX series.

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
It's a Camara trying to be a true DSLR.......
Your not going to get DSLR picture quality from this or any other non mirror digital camara.- period!

The lenses to the sony Nex are proprietary

Junk- IMO ...

There are favorable reviews on the Camara and some not so favorable.

Point being , when is comes to final pictures- DSLR is what you should be looking into, not something that is trying to mimic it...

JMPOV,

B,

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
On a n SLR ,the mirror allows you to look directly through the actual lense that the pict goes through, & then it flips out of the way to expose the film/photo sensor when you shoot. A point & shoot uses a secondary viewfinder lense that sometimes results in a different look than what you see. Both can have equal pict quality, but with the slr, what you see is what you get.

In genearal terms, an SLR camera typically has better lenses, but only because of size restraints. Point & shoot cameras typically are compact, SLR's tend to be big. Some of the old Leicia point & shoot camera's were very good, high end cameras, with great lenses.
Joe

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
It's a Camara trying to be a true DSLR.......
You're not going to get DSLR picture quality from this or any other non mirror digital camara.- period!

The lenses to the sony Nex are proprietary

Junk- IMO ...

There are favorable reviews on the Camara and some not so favorable.

Point being , when is comes to final pictures- DSLR is what you should be looking into, not something that is trying to mimic it...

JMPOV,

B,

Absolute and utter BS.:blink:

Many of the mirrorless cameras have the same APS-C size sensors as DSLRs, and offer excellent picture quality. They don't replace a DSLR in many ways, and they aren't intended to. For most people, a mirrorless camera, even a m4/3 camera is more than adequate, certainly a major upgrade from even an advanced point-and-shoot. If you're into professional sports photography or weddings, etc, then get a full frame DSLR. Just like any tool, each camera has a purpose and a range of uses.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,676 Posts
For $500, you can easily buy a used Nikon D40, D50 or D60 (or a Canon equivelant) with a kit 18-55mm lens. While not the widest lens, especially for interior shots, you can learn to stitch photos together to mimic a wider-angle lens.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
For $500, you can easily buy a used Nikon D40, D50 or D60 (or a Canon equivelant) with a kit 18-55mm lens. While not the widest lens, especially for interior shots, you can learn to stitch photos together to mimic a wider-angle lens.
or better yet a brand new d3200 kit, which has a superior sensor with more DR and newer processor...

although I like the 1/500 flash sync on my d40

·
President
1,349 Posts
If your going to use this camera for jobs, I'd get one your not afraid to 'lose'. Either through dropping/damage

Here's one on Craigslist near me for $25
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/pho/4219358125.html

Their decent cameras and if/when you break it, no big deal!

Make sure whatever you buy takes AAs

Now for a decent camera for the rest of your life, sky is the limit...

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
If you're going to use this camera for jobs, I'd get one you're not afraid to 'lose'. Either through dropping/damage

Here's one on Craigslist near me for $25
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/pho/4219358125.html

They're decent cameras and if/when you break it, no big deal!

Make sure whatever you buy takes AAs

Now for a decent camera for the rest of your life, sky is the limit...
good luck with a 12 year old camera and a 45mm focal length for those indoor shoots

·
Tall Moose
109 Posts
If it were my money, I'd pick up a Nikon D5100 and 18-55mm kit lens. Around here they can be had used for $350-400. Take the remaining $100 and look in to a photo club membership to learn quickly from other photographers. Great starter kit. For photo editing, I'd take a look at GIMP. Free, open source.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts