Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,790 Posts
You are a bigger man than myself, but lifting a 90 pound pneumatic hammer out of the clay would be real tiring real fast.
Better than a 110 pipe driver. Or the 2 7/8 steel drill stems it drives for boat docks :eek:

·
Super Moderator
28,790 Posts
I pay others to run wires...just like I'd pay too see your sorry butt try and pull a 90# hammer with an asphalt chisel back up after sinking it into the dirt.
When my old man needs the jobsite table saw, he uses a ramp.

I lift it.

Same result.

My old man is Grizs size. 6'6" 275 pounds. I bet he could still lift it. Only difference is I'll be fine tomorrow :clap:

Like Toby Keith says. Im as good once as I ever was :whistling:;)

I dont know that id put money on it at this point. But I bet the old man could keep up with me for ONE day anyway, and id probably learn something ;)

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Better than a 110 pipe driver. Or the 2 7/8 steel drill stems it drives for boat docks :eek:
A post driver sits nicely on top, sure it's a wrestling match to get it there.

I don't know if any of you guys have dug a hole with a hammer, but every 2 seconds of hammering is followed by wrestling that bastard back out and re-positioning the tip. Even on flat concrete a 90# will turn your arms to jelly in no time flat, leaning over in a hole trying to lift it from the dirt would be impossible.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,465 Posts
Even on flat concrete a 90# will turn your arms to jelly in no time flat,
Negative, Hoss. I would know. :rolleyes:

I've used the smaller one's sideways, in a trench, cramped by the shield, 8' below grade, hotter than chit and not much air. Yeah, it's not as easy as scratching your ass, but if it was easy work, we'd have women and children doing it.

:thumbsup:

Delta

·
Registered
Remodel
31,031 Posts
Even on flat concrete a 90# will turn your arms to jelly in no time flat, leaning over in a hole trying to lift it from the dirt would be impossible.
Legs and body - arms don't do much, but my hands went tingley after doing it all day for a few days.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Negative, Hoss. I would know. :rolleyes:

I've used the smaller one's sideways, in a trench, cramped by the shield, 8' below grade, hotter than chit and not much air. Yeah, it's not as easy as scratching your ass, but if it was easy work, we'd have women and children doing it.

:thumbsup:

Delta
You must be a bigger man then me, it was the lifting and re-positioning the bit that is murder. Hell even a 60 pound is a bastard to work with.

Legs and body - arms don't do much, but my hands went tingley after doing it all day for a few days.
The lower back gives out pretty quick when working in a hole.

Anti-vibe gloves help alot.
You pussy.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,205 Posts
I don't know if any of you guys have dug a hole with a hammer, but every 2 seconds of hammering is followed by wrestling that bastard back out and re-positioning the tip. Even on flat concrete a 90# will turn your arms to jelly in no time flat, leaning over in a hole trying to lift it from the dirt would be impossible.
I've done quite a few holes in clayey soil and shale that way. Beats the daylights out of a digging iron. But I agree, I'd much rather use one on concrete. :laughing:

·
Registered
Remodel
31,031 Posts
The lower back gives out pretty quick when working in a hole.
Flat ground or a hole, lift and twist at the same time gets mine, but that's from an injury maybe 10 years ago. Now I alternate forward and reverse grip on a shovel, and left and right handed, so it's 4 different motions instead of the same one all day. Rotator cuffs like the reverse grip.

·
Designer/Contractor
5,288 Posts
For lots of roots a 60# will work as well as a 90# and sure is a lot easier on the body, especially by the end of the day.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies. Yeah a chisel tip digging bar is the best method I have found. Never tried the hammer. The few times I have used one in rock or shale and got it buried in the clay kinda turned me off of the idea. I was hoping there was a nifty invention I hadn't discovered yet. Thanks again!

Reactions: hdavis

·
Registered
18 Posts
When I was just out of high school, we used to take out lots of tree roots. Few tons of fertilizer and ****** then blasting caps with radio control..... But then again we were strip mining for coal and limestone... LOL

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
was the question answered . i use a demo hammer now .love it .recently had deck peirs to do in an area with lots of roots .client did not want them cut and watched that i didn't .she eased up as we went along . used demo hammer and a shop vac .put a cyclone before vac to catch the dirt so as to save filter .removed a lot of dirt but it worked . moved the roots around the best i could to the out side of the hole before pouring concrete . took a bit longer .

·
Registered
156 Posts
I did a project where the homeowner contacted an arborist and he layed out many specifications making sure that we didnt kill the tree. If you want to save the tree maybe consider working around the bigger tap roots.
sawzall worked well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have to set some 6 x 6 deck posts and footings close to a large maple tree. The tree is coming down so damage to it's health is not a concern. The problem is the huge roots I know I'm going to encounter. Has anyone discovered a good way of dealing with this? I'm going to go about 14" wide and 24" deep. I would rent an auger but I know hitting a root will just send me sailing off somewhere. And I don't think the tractor attached type will do anything with roots either. I thought about just going with dekbloks on top of the ground since it's going to be freestanding but I don't think I could get by with that on a 40 foot deck.
I have a kobalt 40 Volt battery operated pole saw I use for this kind of thing. Buy several extra chains at about $15 @. Whole kit with battery is about $160. Re-sharpen chains at about $8. Extra battery is nice too for longer jobs. Just the tool is $90. So even if you ruined it. Not super expensive. You could also look for 2nd hand. Pole keeps it at arms length so if you get a kickback. But my kobalt takes a lot of abuse and keeps going. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
demo hammer really helps .break up the dirt around the root .remove dirt . cut offending root .
i have aged out of this so - get a helper with enthusiasm . oh and i love a sharp shovel for this .just bring a 4" grinder ,your digger bar with a sharp edge does great .demo hammer tends to bounce ,sharpening it seemed a waist due to the rocks destroying the edge so fast . this tree sounds like it has left huge roots .

21 - 40 of 41 Posts