Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to set some 6 x 6 deck posts and footings close to a large maple tree. The tree is coming down so damage to it's health is not a concern. The problem is the huge roots I know I'm going to encounter. Has anyone discovered a good way of dealing with this? I'm going to go about 14" wide and 24" deep. I would rent an auger but I know hitting a root will just send me sailing off somewhere. And I don't think the tractor attached type will do anything with roots either. I thought about just going with dekbloks on top of the ground since it's going to be freestanding but I don't think I could get by with that on a 40 foot deck.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
If the roots are that big may take a combination of a chain saw, a bar and a lot of labor. A 90# hammer with an asphalt bit will cut large roots easily.
This post makes me think Griz, despite his massive frame, has never actually picked up a 90# breaker....or....er...tried to pick one up.

·
Registered
Remodel
30,253 Posts
The good news is maple usually keeps the big roots close to the surface. If that's the case, you may be able to get them with a cutting mattock. If not, plan on bringing a file to sharpen a shovel, or bring a bar that has a cutting end. At my age, I like the sharpened shovel approach. You could probably burn through it an a hurry running a propane / oxygen torch. Never tried it, but if I get too much older I'll have to,

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,316 Posts
This post makes me think Griz, despite his massive frame, has never actually picked up a 90# breaker....or....er...tried to pick one up.
:blink:

What's the big deal with a 90lb breaker?

I've worked them hours on end, day after day. Not a big friggin deal.

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
What Griz said...Just keep digging and chopping using what ever works best until you get your hole :thumbsup:

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,316 Posts
I've used a sawzall, digging bar, shovel, axe, my hands, chainsaw, (chain doesn't last too long), choice Anglo-Saxon descriptive language, and a few others I can't remember.

I'm gonna have to try the jackhammer.

I just did 90 fence posts by hand, 3 feet deep. about 1/3 hit roots. :wallbash: Digging bar and post-hole digger was all I used.

Delta

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
For a low voltage guy.....:laughing:

Pretty much a normal day for guys who work for a living...:thumbsup::thumbup:
I'd offer you a thousand dollars and one hour to watch your sorry old ass lift up one of those SOBs.:laughing:

I wouldn't try to dig with anything bigger than a 15# but then again my digging days are over.

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
I'd offer you a thousand dollars and one hour to watch your sorry old ass lift up one of those SOBs.:laughing:

I wouldn't try to dig with anything bigger than a 15# but then again my digging days are over.
Be very careful what you ask an OLD GUY for....

NEVER underestimate old age and guile....:thumbsup:

for youthful exuberance....:laughing:

15#, ain't that a cordless drill...:thumbup::whistling:laughing:

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
53,588 Posts
For a low voltage guy.....:laughing:

Pretty much a normal day for guys who work for a living...:thumbsup::thumbup:
I'm not lifting that crap. It's bad enough my roll away box weighs 106 lbs and I have to lift it into the truck. Really sucks at the end of the day.

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
I'm not lifting that crap. It's bad enough my roll away box weighs 106 lbs and I have to lift it into the truck. Really sucks at the end of the day.
WTF, go figure, a cabinet guy....:laughing:

WHY are you lifting a roll away?....:no::laughing:

I mean what a 6' piece of 1x6 hardwood....:whistling:thumbup:

Sorry Leo, but I would still take several thousand dollars from inner on his bet.....even at my OLD age...:laughing::thumbup:

I do have a great deal of respect for a cabinet makers precision and skill....:thumbsup:

not sure about a guy who pulls #22 wire & cat 6...:laughing::laughing:

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
53,588 Posts

Sorry Leo, but I would still take several thousand dollars from inner on his bet.....even at my OLD age...:laughing::thumbup:

I do have a great deal of respect for a cabinet makers precision and skill....:thumbsup:

Cause that's the only way it's getting into the extended part of the cab.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts

I pay others to run wires...just like I'd pay too see your sorry butt try and pull a 90# hammer with an asphalt chisel back up after sinking it into the dirt.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts