Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i do not know if polyurethane foam crown molding must be copping, please
help me in this situation. always thank you. :Thumbs:

·
Registered
90 Posts
I usually miter it, and I believe Teetor likes to miter all his crown( I think I remember reading one of his posts saying that). So I assume he'll answer with the same info.

Depending on the size and profile of the piece, it could be super easy to cope or extremely hard. The only stuff I've used like that had a lot of really small beads right in a row, and coping it was nearly impossible because it kept crushing and stuff. Just miter it, make it fit nice and tight, use a little caulk and be on your merry way. :)

Good luck. Post pics when you're done.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
I only work with wood crown, - - and I always cope, - - but I doubt if you would want to cope the polyurethane, - - too soft and melty.

·
Registered
405 Posts
The way I see it, the point of coping is to prevent visible gaps if (1) the corner is out of square and (2) when the wood shrinks. I don't use poly but you don't have to worry about the shrinkage, so if the corner is true square, I'd say go ahead and miter if it saves you time.

·
Registered
43 Posts
when you mitre poly (or cut at all) with a chopsaw the bottom edge closest to the fence will melt a little just like wood will blow out at that same place

·
General Contractor
548 Posts
If you miter/bevel correctly, do you really need to cope anyway????

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
nadonailer said:
If you miter/bevel correctly, do you really need to cope anyway????
The purpose of coping isn't to avoid a bad miter, - - but too drastically decrease the 'shrinkage/gap' factor in a professional manner based on pride-in-craftsmanship.

·
Walsh Construction Svcs.
98 Posts
What's the easiest way to attach the poly crown? I was told adhesive caulk alone would work, or should I back that up with a couple finish nails? First crown job using this material.

Thanks!
Lance

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
What's the easiest way to attach the poly crown? I was told adhesive caulk alone would work, or should I back that up with a couple finish nails? First crown job using this material.

Thanks!
Lance
Pin Nailer, Brad nailer....
Adhesive caulk alone, take the guy that told you that and beat him to death with a tube of caulk.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Like Tom, I only work with stain grade wood. No FJ. Sorry.

·
4,617 Posts
Pin Nailer, Brad nailer....
Adhesive caulk alone, take the guy that told you that and beat him to death with a tube of caulk.
Just make sure its silly cone. You don't want to be accused of using an inferior caulk.:w00t: :whistling

1 - 15 of 15 Posts