Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Difficult Cabinets to Build

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Jordy3738 
#1 ·
In my experience the most difficult cabinetry sets I have ever had to build have always been the ones where the customer wants to make sure that all of their stuff is going to fit into the cupboard.

The catch comes when there is only an eight of an inch here or one sixteenth of an inch there to make it all work the way that they would like.

I would rather have jobs where there are three and four inches extra to work with.

#2 · (Edited)
That is the nature of a custom cabinet. If they could do it with a box cabinet it would be a lot cheaper to do. That is why you get paid the big bux :laughing: I have a few oddball cabinets that I am building in the kitchen I am working on now. One of them is almost a standard lower corner lazy susan. The catch is one of the openings is 1" smaller than the other. Not difficult, I just never did one before. The other is a cabinet that is sort of boat shaped. Lazy susan inside, two door on angles on either side of the cabinet. A real pain to glue up and get perfect joints.

#6 ·
Yeah that can be a little tedious and maybe a bit stressy. But if the client just lets me figure it out and leaves it to me it helps an awful lot.

It's the jobs where getting answers and decisions take an act of god, or the ones where they want to see it rendered 5 different ways that are the real pain. How many times have you spent more time grooming a job than building it?

But if your piggy bank doesn't look like it's desperate for a meal after the bills are paid, wtf? It is why we do what what we do right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.