Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Different deck, different problem...

3K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  redwood 
#1 ·
As a flooring contractor, I would not have guessed in a thousand years that I would have 2 seperate jobs arise in one month that involve decks. I am not complaining, I'm just sayin'.

The newest job involves an existing deck that has pressure-treated lumber used for the framing, but the rest is something else to be determined. I have not inspected it yet, but apparently there is some degree of termite infestation. My job will be to remove/ replace the lumber with obvious damage which I am told is only apparent in some of the railing and balusters.
This small deck sits about 2 feet off of the ground, has two steps, and measures roughly 12 feet by 20 feet. It is 5-6 years old and when I saw it last year (before the termites were obvious) it appeared to be in fine shape.
Based on the vague description of this job, if anyone has any thoughts that may help, I appreciate your time.

Discussion starter · #3 · (Edited)
expect more rot than you expect...

~Matt
Good point. I will suggest that the customer 'brace for the worst'. It could be a huge mistake if I do not cover that possibility before any demo has begun. Thanks.

Discussion starter · #13 ·
In all likelihood, it is going to be cheaper for them to have you replace the entire deck...BTW, I rarely do "re-decking" jobs. This makes for a good selling point to having the customer get you to tear it all out and replace the entire structure.
Thanks for replying, DecksEtc. I will remind the customer that the framing is not my work. As for selling him on the idea of a complete replacement, it would be out of my league. Mostly, I am a flooring guy. I like working with wood, but am not experienced enought to tackle the project as you probably could.
I like your thinking, though. I would do as you suggested if my skills could back it up.

Discussion starter · #15 ·
Two months later...

I have inspected the deck and it appears that only the railings, which appear to be pine, are being eaten by termites. The posts, framing, deck all appear to be a different species (redwood?) and free from damage.

Can anyone tell me what species I should replace the railings with?
Thanks in advance.

Discussion starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the tip

...Maybe upsell the customer on deckorator balusters, they look good with redwood....
I did a web search on the Deckorator balusters. The metal ones are very cool. I will see how much they cost here in San Diego. That would definitely be a great look.

...The termites here do not seem to be fond of redwood, the heartwood anyway, they will eat the sapwood tho.
I called a lumberyard in town today. He said most of the redwood I will find is sapwood. Is that what you find to be true? He also said that I could use Douglas Fir. The price is so different (Douglas Fir 2x4 @ $ .27/ LF vs. Redwood 2x4 @ $1.08/ LF) I can only assume that the pine will last about 1/4 as long as the redwood. What do you say?

I appreciate your help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.