Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Remodel
31,083 Posts
I've seen that. Usually it seems it was a new construction guy in an old house remodel. Or maybe just taking the easy way out, tough to say.

Reality is, there are some situations where a really good solution just doesn't exist.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
It's ugly. But I don't know of anyway to make it look right. Other then some serious rework so the crown can be ended so it looks right.

·
General Contractor
8,080 Posts
Using a smaller crown would looked a whole lot better. This way you would go right over the header continuously and run the legs up to it... Or take the end off and put a separate piece on top and and make a miter in the corner, this way it will hide the track and you can remove it if doors need to come out. Not to mention that crown is to big for that room anyway if the closet header only a few inches down from the ceiling plane. I assume this is a basement.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Using a smaller crown would looked a whole lot better. This way you would go right over the header continuously and run the legs up to it... Or take the end off and put a separate piece on top and and make a miter in the corner, this way it will hide the track and you can remove it if doors need to come out. Not to mention that crown is to big for that room anyway if the closet header only a few inches down from the ceiling plane. I assume this is a basement.
Thanks Greg for that info. My only other idea would be a 4x4 block . Like what they use around here when they can't cope a corner.

·
Registered
155 Posts
That just looks weird all around. The crown is too large for that room and the return (to my eye) is just wrong. My first instinct is no crown in that room, but if someone insisted on crown I think I'd go with something small enough to run over the top of the doorway. Speaking of the doorway, it seems like there would be a more elegant solution there as well.
I have to agree with Easy on the ceiling. Popcorn ceilings make me feel like I should be wearing capezios and skinny ties again.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I think that is a sliding glass door for a closet. If that was a real door that would be a real low cieling. Most likely the trim around it was already up and the crown installer went the easiest route.

I've never seen it before but it probably looks better like that then a regular 90 return.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
How did u find pictures of the doublewide trailer i just trimmed out

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's a small condo, currently unoccupied, but still jammed with the belongings of the retired builder whose children have some decisions to make. I was in there briefly on some business for the homeowners association, and the crown caught my eye, because it was goofy but fairly carefully done.

The way someone else would have put up art, or a teenager would put up posters, the guy had personalized his space with crown moulding, matching oak wainscoting, and other not-quite-right details. The overall effect was very depressing.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,083 Posts
One other option that would look better (and I'm surprised nobody mentioned it) is to fade the molding into the wall / trim. Almost anything is better than leaving that at hard 90 degrees.

Yes, the crown is too big, but it really shows up here because it runs into the door trim. I don't see a decent way of fixing it other than defining a logical space for it to be ending on, and cut it back. Maybe do a little built-in in the previous stud bay, something... Paint schemes can help to make an early termination make sense, as well.

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
One other option that would look better (and I'm surprised nobody mentioned it) is to fade the molding into the wall / trim. Almost anything is better than leaving that at hard 90 degrees.

Yes, the crown is too big, but it really shows up here because it runs into the door trim. I don't see a decent way of fixing it other than defining a logical space for it to be ending on, and cut it back. Maybe do a little built-in in the previous stud bay, something... Paint schemes can help to make an early termination make sense, as well.
You're talking about a 45 deg return, right?

·
Registered
13 Posts
That is hideous. Looks to me like someone with a few years of misguided experience. They tried but obviously didn't know what they were doing. They probably even thought they were doing top quality work.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts