Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there all,
A few months back I built an extension for a client near the ocean. I do not regularly work in siding, but am helping the homeowner out with re-siding the back of her home where she now has asphalt shingles. We have two options of siding: Georgia Pacific Cedar Spectrum and Certainteed Cedar Impressions. Being as I am not a roof/siding guy I am hoping that someone will have some additional info beyond what my products rep wants to sell me. At first glance, both products follow the same specs (or close to):
.100 thickness
Triple-5" configuration
Molded polymer w color throughout
Seemless corners

GP is a bit cheaper, and the rep is pushing it, but my concerns are fading and realistic woodgrain finish. The CT Impressions were reviewed by CR and given a great grade all the way around. On the other hand, I cannot find out any info about he Spectrum. I know they offer fewer colors and configurations, but that is OK.

Anyone have any insight they can offer on either product?
Thanks much all.

·
Contractor
4,767 Posts
can't speak of those products, but I've worked w/ the Alcoa Discovery (double 7")-it's a nice product to work with and touch on the wrist when cutting w/ shears. last time I priced the material it was around $225/sq (comes in half square increments), I'm sure it's more now. Alcoa has a wonderful warranty on fade resistance. I would urge the client to splurge for the mitered corners...expensive but it gives the full wood shingle package.

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
Your best bet is to sub it out to a professional siding installer (or at the least, someone who deals with it more often than you). They will offer up suggestions on products as they most likely have much more experience with the brands you mentioned.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
can't speak of those products, but I've worked w/ the Alcoa Discovery (double 7")-it's a nice product to work with and touch on the wrist when cutting w/ shears. last time I priced the material it was around $225/sq (comes in half square increments), I'm sure it's more now. Alcoa has a wonderful warranty on fade resistance. I would urge the client to splurge for the mitered corners...expensive but it gives the full wood shingle package.
Use the Certainteed cedar impressions or the Mastic Cedar Discovery <---My choice:thumbup:

Stay away from the GP stuff its not even made by GP anymore. Its big box and lumber yard siding. The companies that stamp the boxes will go to other major manufactures and have them make the stuff, and since its price based, you will see the styles and colors will be completely different year to year. If you ever look at the siding at home depot the colors and grains seem to change from year to year and even store to store.

Do a google search on GP siding, its all people posting on forums looking to find pieces of DISCONTINUED gp siding to match whats on their house

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Royal also makes an excellent shake :thumbup:
Yes they do. Also look into Crane siding. I installed this on a home a few years ago and it looked great.
I installed Novik on my own home and am very satisfied with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Nice looking job. Mind me asking what you got per sq?
LOL he couldnt even get tree fiddy on that one!!!!!!!!!!! I dont even think he broke even. Did you even read his posts about that house, the homeowner was a HUGE A HOLE

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
LOL he couldnt even get tree fiddy on that one!!!!!!!!!!! I dont even think he broke even. Did you even read his posts about that house, the homeowner was a HUGE A HOLE
I won't touch that stuff for less than a grand :laughing:

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
:eek::eek::eek::w00t::w00t::w00t::laughing:

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
switched from certinteed to the crane single course pannels about a year ago
You couldnt pay me to buy anything from the idiots that work at the bradco you buy from. I dread anytime I have to pick something up there.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
you get the crane at bradco LF?
Yup, came from Bradco. We took over the job after the HOs threw the OC off the job. Apparently Crane changed the design of their product halfway through the job and he had both types on the house. I guess he was buying several squares at a time to control cashflow problems.:whistling

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Yup, came from Bradco. We took over the job after the HOs threw the OC off the job. Apparently Crane changed the design of their product halfway through the job and he had both types on the house. I guess he was buying several squares at a time to control cashflow problems.:whistling
Is the shake from Crane foam backed? If so it doesn't meet the tax credit criteria.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Is the shake from Crane foam backed? If so it doesn't meet the tax credit criteria.
The product I installed was not foam backed, although they may have a product line that is.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
crane was the first vinyl manufacturer that i heard of that had a foam backed vinyl line,even back in the day aluminum and steel sidings had a foam or fiber backing attached.

I personally haven't installed a insulated product yet
i have also seen foam panels that had different siding profiles moulded into them that you installed first so that any manufacturer siding would essentially become foam backed
http://www.fullback.com/products/vinyl_siding_underlayments.php

1 - 20 of 43 Posts