Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the difference between 21 degree and 30 degree Framing Nailer? Looking to buy one for some light framing on the site.

·
Super Moderator
10,454 Posts
Most professionals use the 30 degree. Make sure which ever one you choose, that you can easily find the nails for it.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
I think it's a regional thing. Get what most people in your area use.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
yeah must be regional .rarely do i see 30 .passload i think uses them .
i have never used anything but 21 degree .Years ago - like 30 or more I was told it related to the brand of gun .but really do not know for sure

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Hgroe.... You have an interesting question that sometimes I've wondered about....

In a finish gun, a higher angle allows you to get in difficult angles/applications more easily....

But in a framer, I've always used a 21 PC, and really have had no problems....

More makes and brands in 21 for framers... so I'm happy with a 21. I can easily find any nail I need in 21 at the local yards....

I think that is most convenient / important to me.

Best

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Full/Clipped head...... Wire collated/Paper

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
it is a regional thing for sure around here p.o.s passlode is the go to gun.
full head is in cliped head is out for now 20 years ago it was senco:clap:

·
Registered
36 Posts
I currently use a 21 degree but will be looking into a 30 degree Hitachi airless nailer this spring/summer. It was explained to me years ago that the difference is the angle of the magazine and the ability to get the nailer into tight spaces or at use it effectively at odd angles. I have been in places where the magazine (21 degree) gets in the way and doesn't allow me to place a nail right where I want it, the 30 degree and steeper angled magazine would have helped...21 degree is cheaper for the most part but go with what your local hardware store carry so your not hunting for nails. ~Anthony

·
Registered
732 Posts
21deg was typically full round head and 30 deg was clipped head. Some regions don't allow clipped heads, especially for plywood. Paslode makes round drive nails for 30deg which meet the requirement typically, and that's what I use. I have an old Bostitch n80 as well that uses the 28deg wire weld nails, but its rarely used at this point. Bostitch always seemed to do things different. FN nails, 28deg, etc

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
I had old Hilti guns from the '80's that I believe were something odd, like 17 deg.
They got replaced with Hitachi and the old 17 deg Hilti nails shoot out of the Hitachi no problem.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts