Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Are you talking ADA here? Either way you are pretty close to the mark.
Handrails can be wall mounted or free standing. Guardrails have the balusters to keep the kiddies from falling through, they are seldom mounted next to a wall. LOL

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the clarification. I just always genarically called guardrails "stair railings" I guess, I wasn't familiar with the term.

Since I have virtually no on the job experience working under anybody else, just about everything I know I have taught myself, so sometimes the problem I face is my knowledge about building sometimes looks like a hunk of swiss cheese, I have sporatic in-depth knowledge in some areas and glaringly and embarrasing chunks of ignorance in others.

:eek:

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Mike, we are all ignorant in some ways.
Ignorance is not knowing something, stupid is the inability to learn.
Guardrails are used on balconies and around pools for examples.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
ADA specs handrails at between 34 and 38".

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Handrail......guardrail......chair rail.....that reminds me of this girl I used to know.....hm....nice tail, that one, yes indeed.

Bob

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Teetorbilt said:
ADA specs handrails at between 34 and 38".
Ooop, - - my bad, - - guess I'm 'dating' myself, - - used to be between 30-34, - - I think it got changed about 12-15 years back, - - I always install at 34. Sorry about that.

Main point being handrail can be lower than a guardrail, - - but thanks for 'correcting'.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Can't remember which was which, - - but according to which code your area was working under (CABO, BOCA, UBC-maybe?) one code read 30-34, - - another read 34-38, and another yet 30-38, - - that's why I just went ahead and adopted 34" for anywhere-everywhere.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I do quite a bit of ADA work and try to customize the installs to the customer while staying within code. A few ins. one way or another can make a lot of difference to a 90+ yr. old with bad arthritis.
34" is still to high for someone who has aged to the point of being 4'0".

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I can't but there isn't anything saying that I can't install one lower as long as it meets the clearance and other guidelines.
This also only applies to commercial/rental properties which the majority of independent/assisted living facilities fall into. In residential properties, you can do what is requested. Get sign offs on everything out of ADA specs.

·
Finish carpentry contrctr
51 Posts
Mike Finley said:
What's the difference between a hand rail and a guardrail? A handrail is attached to a wall, while a guardrail has balusters under it?

A handrail runs along the steps (rake rail) and a guardrail runs along a balcony (horizontal). In NE Ohio we set the handrail @34" to 36" and guardrail @ 36" to 42" to meet codes. I think these codes are unkind to kids and the elderly, but what do we know.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts