Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Know how to tell when a guy has been working on a diesel? Just look at his hands.
Have been changing my 93 7.3 turbo out this weekend and tomorrow. It has been taking on antifreeze in one cyl to the point of hydro locking. Sometimes would do it once a day and other not for weeks, pulled the glow plug to blow antifreeze to start it again. Cavitation problem I do believe. Interested to find out when I tear it down. Got what I believe is a good replace engine going in so will see. Been putting this off all winter.

Nothing worse though then diesel oil / grease all over your hands.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
worx hand cleaner powder works awesome, use to use it when wrenching on cars.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Randy Bush said:
Know how to tell when a guy has been working on a diesel? Just look at his hands. Have been changing my 93 7.3 turbo out this weekend and tomorrow. It has been taking on antifreeze in one cyl to the point of hydro locking. Sometimes would do it once a day and other not for weeks, pulled the glow plug to blow antifreeze to start it again. Cavitation problem I do believe. Interested to find out when I tear it down. Got what I believe is a good replace engine going in so will see. Been putting this off all winter. Nothing worse though then diesel oil / grease all over your hands.

The idi 7.3s are fairly infamous for cavitation problems. Unfortunately. Have to keep up the sca's. Religiously

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The idi 7.3s are fairly infamous for cavitation problems. Unfortunately. Have to keep up the sca's. Religiously
This one when had problems a number of years back . Had my dad sleeve 3 of the rear cyls. had one that cracked on me. Should of had him sleeve the whole block. 20/20 hind site.

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
You know a diesel owner who does their own oil changes just by looking that their hands. Used diesel engine oil will stain anything! Stains the floor, stains the drain pan, my clothes, my hands, etc. Wicked stuff!

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I was a truck mechanic for a few yrs for U-Haul. I hated dirty, greasy hands so I started wearing latex gloves. Awesome. The cheap one tear easily so you go through them quickly depending on the use, but keeps your hands clean.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I was a truck mechanic for a few yrs for U-Haul. I hated dirty, greasy hands so I started wearing latex gloves. Awesome. The cheap one tear easily so you go through them quickly depending on the use, but keeps your hands clean.
Oil breaks down latex, use nitrile.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You know a diesel owner who does their own oil changes just by looking that their hands. Used diesel engine oil will stain anything! Stains the floor, stains the drain pan, my clothes, my hands, etc. Wicked stuff!
My wife just throws away some of the clothes after I get done with like a engine change. :laughing: Oil stains on hands , well it just has to wear off.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
My wife just throws away some of the clothes after I get done with like a engine change. :laughing: Oil stains on hands , well it just has to wear off.
Gasoline was a good cleaner and we had this parts cleaner station "Safety Clean" that would work great too. Down side: would dry my hands out, they would crack open and bigger issues.

Gloves solved that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts