Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Problem Solver
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to replace my truck - It is my work truck but is also my vehicle for everything else, I do not have the luxury of owning just a "work truck" and another vehicle for personal use around town. I am trying to decide if is worth the money to go with a Diesel like the Chevy 2500 diesels? I need 4WD due to location in western New York snow belt - my current truck is a 2004 I bought new so I do keep my trucks for a quite while. Can anybody that owns a diesel pick up give me an idea on if the extra mileage makes up for the difference in cost for diesel fuel? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Because I use it for the regular family stuff also I do not want to go larger than a 2500 series or 3/4 TON - but i think I can still tow the horse trailer and and all my toys with the 3/4 ton diesels.

·
Registered
12,364 Posts
I wouldn't have anything else if I had the choice. Lots of power that loves to pull. Longevity to the engine is a bonus.

Diesel costs the same or less around here lately. Also, you won'the notice much difference in 1 ton and a 3/4 ton until you need it. Get as much truck as you can afford.

Your old truck is newer than my "new" truck. If you had bought diesel in the first place, you may not be needing to replace it already.

I'm a diesel fanboy.:whistling. At least since they put turbos in them. Before that, they were pigs.

·
I'm The BOSS
1,904 Posts
I'm a duramax fan.
2006 gmc 3500 with 6500 miles on it.

1 tons can carry a little more
3/4 have a little more towing capacity / except if a dually

mileage isn't much of an improvement maybe 5-6 per gallon.

put power is awesome , if towing anything heavy.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
I'm right by you. We run 2 duramaxs. And a vortec. And soon that will be replaced with a duramax suburban. It's worth every cent if you tow a lot. I get twice the mileage with diesel towing

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
I have a diesel and like it but I'm don't think you really save money with them. They cost more to buy and more to repair so the fuel savings are just relocated. That said, my van is usually around 4.5 tons and it accelerates well from stopped, after 70mph, not so much....

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
If your hauling trailers regularly keep with the duramax diesel.

I just went back to gas after 20 years, but I also don't haul anything anymore.

·
Problem Solver
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all for your input. I do not tow a lot typically - a small horse trailer or boat on occasion but lately have been running 2 jobs at once quite often and it would be helpful to be able to pull a piece of equipment from one site to the other rather than have somebody in the crew stop and do that as the split crew is too small already to lose 2 hours or more moving something. That is really the only reason I am considering either getting new or diesel - just a little more flexibility. Plus my half ton just won't haul enough for even trip to lumber store without putting on the trailer to grab a pallet of things.

If I can add a some flexibility for work and that time savings, but still manage for regular family stuff and basic transportation then may be worth it. So far as "needing to " my current truck still runs fine and has no problems at all but 11 years old with 170k on it I figure I will need to replace and can still get something for it now while I have not really had to put any money into it.

The repair costs on the diesel are a little scary based on some of the stories I have heard and even routine maintenance will probably be more but I will be able to do a little more with it too. Hardest part of the whole thing is right now I have no payment and that is really nice.....

·
Problem Solver
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Diesel is is 40 cents a gallon or more than gas here in Western NY so is quite a difference- with gas running about $3.85 and diesel $4.25 is 10% more for just fuel. I am not real familiar with the DEF stuff for the diesel but that adds to the total as well obviously. My 1/2 ton I can get 18/19 mpg with on average, so will already be taking a hit there going to the 3/4 ton from what I have heard, but maybe will not be quite as big a hit if diesel, plus the extra flexibility which is hard to pin a number on for deciding if is worth it but certainly has value.

·
Professional Contractor
58 Posts
I Only run the 6.7 Scorpion Ford Diesels in pick-ups But have a Duramax in the Kodiak.
None of them are ever in the shop. I could never go back to gas.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
hard to beat the d-max and the edge programmer.......at least upto 2011. want a bargain look for a longbed ( real work truck) they may not have the leather heated seats but will often be several thousand less.

If your looking strictly at MPG then go with 33 or 35 inch tires and adjust the edge accordingly and your looking at 18-20 loaded on the hiway if you keep your foot out of it. or put your foot down blow smoke off all 4 tires and pipe and get somewhere real fast if you don't get scared ( 120 mph in a d-max was enuff for me )

As for the maintenance I think its less if you do the routines and use good fuel

·
Windwash
595 Posts
I agree with the others, if you are towing a lot then get the diesel. There is no payback otherwise with diesel at 50-60 cents more.

Had a 04 dmax that got 18-20 mpg/highway and traded it in for an 08 dmax that I ended up selling because it only got 13 highway with all the emissions bs. Maybe the new ones do better.

Everything else is more expensive. Oil changes are $100+ plus and you will probably have the fuel filter changed a couple times a year for that as well. If you like to wrench on them yourself than it will be cheaper.

As for longevity, the power train may be able to go 300,000 miles but everything else still craps out at the same time as a gas engine. If you do need to have work done to the engine/tranny after warranty it will always be expensive if you can't do the work yourself. Had a 98' cube van with the power stroke in it that I put $3,800 into it under the hood the last year I owned it and it had 130,000 miles on it. If it was a gas I could have put a new engine in it for that.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
You bought a diesel to tow a 7x14? Even a v6 gasser could handle that easy. I have to tow the mountain roads so I have the v8 5.4.
Its not that it can't do it but how well it does it. With the newer diesels you don't even know there is a trailer behind you. Its just a perspective thing. Some guys dig festool, some guys dig diesels.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Spencer said:
Its not that it can't do it but how well it does it. With the newer diesels you don't even know there is a trailer behind you. Its just a perspective thing. Some guys dig festool, some guys dig diesels.
I dig both

1 - 20 of 53 Posts