Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever hear of oldtimers putting a mixture of diesel fuel and linseed oil on wood barn siding?

·
Super Moderator
24,193 Posts
Only if they want to burn it down.:whistling:laughing:

·
Knowledgeable Tinter!
65 Posts
Hear of it?? Yes.

It's just proof that idiocy exists in every generation....

I can understand the Linseed Oil. Diesel is an oil with some waxes.

Neither is very good on wood. If mold gets started on Linseed Oil...good luck...

In THIS century?!? This isn't the 1920's anymore...

Faron

·
Registered
5 Posts
I used to build log homes and had a customer spray transmisson fluid on his logs. Looked pretty good actually, but I thought he was crazy as hell.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I used to build log homes and had a customer spray transmisson fluid on his logs. Looked pretty good actually, but I thought he was crazy as hell.
WOW! Now that sounds like a reciepe for disaster!
I dont even understand how they could stand the smell? That would be like living in a service garage.:no:

·
Registered
7 Posts
All paints and stains are more flammable then diesel
Well, actually that's not true... Diesel fuel is combustible (it will ignite but relies on compressed heat as opposed to an open spark) but is not designated as "flammable". Xylene, Toluene & Acetone each have a lower flash point than diesel fuel - so from that perspective, it's actually safer than some of the more common paint solvents (mentioned above)...and that recipe has been around for decades. The problem is, diesel fuels are more oily than are most petroleum distillates, so you are introducing a foreign "resin" to the mix...primarily mineral oil which is non-drying, and has a very low viscosity. The mix is great for penetration and will not dry very quickly...and will take even longer to form a film - but it really doesn't pose much of a fire hazard other than the solvent fumes evaporate far slower than does the more common solvents used in conventional paints.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, actually that's not true... Diesel fuel is combustible (it will ignite but relies on compressed heat as opposed to an open spark) but is not designated as "flammable". Xylene, Toluene & Acetone each have a lower flash point than diesel fuel - so from that perspective, it's actually safer than some of the more common paint solvents (mentioned above)...and that recipe has been around for decades. The problem is, diesel fuels are more oily than are most petroleum distillates, so you are introducing a foreign "resin" to the mix...primarily mineral oil which is non-drying, and has a very low viscosity. The mix is great for penetration and will not dry very quickly...and will take even longer to form a film - but it really doesn't pose much of a fire hazard other than the solvent fumes evaporate far slower than does the more common solvents used in conventional paints.
...and by the way, this post we're responding to is from 2011

1 - 16 of 16 Posts