Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
When I was in the eighth grade I wrote in our yearbook that I wanted to be a farmer or a carpenter when I grew up..don't feel so grown up yet but I have a chicken farm and do carpentry, so I guess that worked out!

·
Registered
435 Posts
I grew up doing plumbing , heating and electrical for my dad. He's 70 still doing it. I liked it but I found when I helped his friends who were carpenters. I loved it !!as a young teenager. I was not studious , loved carpentry,being out doors. Being in a cubicle would be death to me. I went to work for contractor out of high school and never looked back. Now 35, my only regret is that schooling may have helped me on the business and marketing side of having my own business. ( not my strong suite). I could not imagine doing anything else except playing in nfl. And that wasn't going to happen. I find that I am not happy during slow times. I feel like I never work a day in my life when I am busy and take extreme satisfaction in building things as if it were my own. So. I guess I chose it.

·
Registered
797 Posts
You've never sent the fng to get a bucket if steam? Or board streacher/ wire streacher
Not yet but tomorrow is a new day and I just happen to be working with a new chap.:biggrin:

A Chief Machinist Mate had a work party working in the engine room and decided to have some fun with one of his new E2s. He told the newbie that he needed a bucket of steam to make the cleaning easier. He handed him a bucket and sent him to the boiler room. Several hours later the guy came back with the bucket full of water. When the chief jumped all over him about his absence and the said he had sent him for steam, not water. the E2 replied, it is condensed steam, just add heat, Chief.

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
You've never sent the fng to get a bucket if steam? Or board streacher/ wire streacher
After weeks of getting hit with all the above, and the improvised versions....red-handled cane bazzle, etc., almost to a man they would practically give a lead the finger when he asked for oil for the circ. saw.

Watching a kid get chewed up for that was always a treat.

·
GC/carpenter
43,600 Posts
My father was a contractor. I had to spend my summers learning the trades, I hated it, all my friend were surfing. Looking back it was the best thing I learned when I was young. It taught me how to work hard. My father taught me how to provide for a family. He taught me how to be a man. Unlike a lot of today's sissified boys.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The old man was a plumber, gas fitter so if any trade was choose me it would be that.. But I couldn't think of anything worse then working with a family member!! I always enjoyed helping the old man doing little jobs around the house building/ renovating rooms etc so naturally I became a carpenter.. I would skip school and work with my neighbour who was a builder. 16th birthday rolled around and I started my life as a carpenter..

·
Carpenter
56 Posts
I guess it chose me. I have five brothers and only one of us isn't in the trades. We were always working on our parents house...repairing the stuff we destroyed:laughing:

We ended up totally renovating the whole house over a period of about 10 years and then we all moved out. Anyway we all agree those were the best times for all of us...no pressure when you're not getting paid!:laughing:

But we all enjoyed it so much that we got jobs in the trades and eventually opened our own companies.

So I guess it did choose me in a way

·
Registered
77 Posts
I guess it chose me, but from a young age I knew I didn't want a desk job. I wanted to do a physical job that would have me out and about and doing different things.
I was also very bored in school, so it seemed like a good option to me to make good money without boring myself through college and racking up a mountain of debt just to earn a piece of paper that says I'm a Masters Level in something that probably would be out of date by the time I finished.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts