Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
12,981 Posts
I think it chose me. I dug graves one spring. After that, I thought "Hey, I'll move up the chain a bit". I started roofing.

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
Both...

First it chose me.

Both my grandfathers were in the trades. One a carpenter And one a stone mason who I spent lots of my time working with from a very young age.
Entered an architecture program in college....quit to go pre-law....always framed houses during summers and breaks.

Then, I chose it.

After bailing on D.C. and a suit, I came home disillusioned and picked up my tool belt to earn a living. Very quickly I realized that I was doing what I was born to do. I never questioned it again.

Almost 20 years later and I still laugh when I think of how I almost "educated" myself out of something I couldn't imagine my life without.

·
Home Repairs
291 Posts
My Dad started out in drywall at 15 working for his Brother and brother-n-law in the early 60s.. Those 3 guys created a whole family tree of drywallers ...I have relatives in 7 states of the union that do drywall all because of my uncles that started off in Florida in the 50s..

It's in my blood! Sometimes I hate It!....But most Times I love It! :laughing: I don't know nothing else..And It's too late to learn something new. :rolleyes:

I may know some of your family if they worked in the Virginia Beach area. My wife has been in drywall for the past 25 years, and my son for about 12. I got into OTR trucking after retiring from the navy, and eventually found my way into finishing/hanging when I sold my truck. I am more into repair/ tie in work these days. You are right....it does get into your blood :)

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I may know some of your family if they worked in the Virginia Beach area. My wife has been in drywall for the past 25 years, and my son for about 12. I got into OTR trucking after retiring from the navy, and eventually found my way into finishing/hanging when I sold my truck. I am more into repair/ tie in work these days. You are right....it does get into your blood :)
Well at least I don't have to install drywall for a living. :whistling

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,801 Posts
My last 2 years of high school, found me in the woodworking shop over half the day, every day. Study halls, drafting classes & 2 woodworking classes. It's what I really liked doing, but didn't believe it would be my lifes work, but that's what ended up happening, so I guess you could say it chose me.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,297 Posts
I chose it. I've never done anything I didn't choose to do, nor does practically anyone else other than a paraplegic.

You may choose to do something either because it's what you love, or it's the easiest way to go, but it's still ultimately your choice.

·
Fine Handcrafted Opinions
994 Posts
It must have, because I don't remember ever consciously choosing it.

I remember being pretty young (around 12 maybe) and helping my dad build a shed with scraps we got from construction sites, and being a little surprised that I had a much better eye for how to fit the scraps of siding together than he did.

Then a couple years later I helped a guy who built a big addition on our house, and enjoyed it. The builder told my dad I had a real knack for it, and was a good worker, and he actually got me to help him part time on some other jobs, so that encouraged me to want to do more.

My first full time job, which I started on my 17th birthday, was working for a friend who built log homes. I worked for him for almost 12 years. I loved the work, and I guess it never occurred to me to do anything else. All of a sudden I woke up and was past 30, married with kids, and still had never had a real job. Don't see ever changing.

I figure I'll always be building something for somebody.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
It chose me. Its the only way Ive found that I can provide for my family. Had an office job; went into debt a little more every year.
I've always been surprised how many college grads or former office types wind up in the trades. But when talking to them and thinking about it, I think most of them probably would have wound up there anyway.

It's in my blood!....I don't know nothing else..And It's too late to learn something new.
Ain't that the truth. And people that get out of it sometimes find their way back and are happy, wonder why they ever left. And when they think about leaving it....."to where? and do what?" Work pt at hd/lowes or a lumber yard? Factory? Retail? This is it. But if we enjoy it, there could be far worse places to be stuck.

·
Trees are Cool
195 Posts
I did rough framing after high school and every summer through college. When I got married and had kids, my wife got a teaching job. When the kids were young, my wife had the 100 hr a week job and I took care of the kids.

What job to do? I Worked 6 hrs a day as a carpenter doing smaller projects. Flexible, good money and you always get new tools. That is when I realized that I love tools and building things.

My mother never thought that I had a real job until she had me build her house. Now she understands what I do.

The kids get on the bus at 6:45 now and I can get in full days and I love making things, and tools.

·
President
1,349 Posts
I'm going to say I was thrown to the lions early...... There's some serious technique being applied here
I have that same hammer! :thumbsup:

I was dragged kicking and screaming into this business :whistling:laughing:

But, my dad, as well as my dads helper (a 70yr old plasterer with 50yrs experience) told me that I am the fastest learner of the plastering trade either of them had ever seen. I picked up the skill of plastering extremely fast.. And I'm not afraid to jump into things that challenge me..

Now.. The painting end of it blah! I hate painting, it's boring :mad:

But, plastering, is dead in the WNY area because all the painters are picking it up, slapping some drywall mud on the walls and calling themselves plasterers!

Soooo... I decided, meh, I guess I'll paint for a living... :laughing:

·
Registered
797 Posts
It must have, because I don't remember ever consciously choosing it.

I remember being pretty young (around 12 maybe) and helping my dad build a shed with scraps we got from construction sites, and being a little surprised that I had a much better eye for how to fit the scraps of siding together than he did.

Then a couple years later I helped a guy who built a big addition on our house, and enjoyed it. The builder told my dad I had a real knack for it, and was a good worker, and he actually got me to help him part time on some other jobs, so that encouraged me to want to do more.

My first full time job, which I started on my 17th birthday, was working for a friend who built log homes. I worked for him for almost 12 years. I loved the work, and I guess it never occurred to me to do anything else. All of a sudden I woke up and was past 30, married with kids, and still had never had a real job. Don't see ever changing.

I figure I'll always be building something for somebody.
Cool story. It would be great to build some furniture for your kids. When my mom died, my dad went to the School Of the Redwoods and started building furniture like crazy. He's gone now but all five kids have 2 or 3 pieces of his furniture and they are treasured.

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
Cool story. It would be great to build some furniture for your kids. When my mom died, my dad went to the School Of the Redwoods and started building furniture like crazy. He's gone now but all five kids have 2 or 3 pieces of his furniture and they are treasured.
I love chit like that.

I'm sure some day his great-great grandkids will be talking about him as they move his pieces into their new homes.:thumbsup:

Reactions: Reg

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
20 years ago, I was teaching school and coaching, doing a lot of flying, and working on my graduate degree.....if you would have told me I would be where I am today in 20 years, I would have thought you were high or stupid or both.

I guess I was born to this....started framing at 16...and tried many times to never have to hold a hammer again. Of course, I don't hold a hammer now.

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
i dabbled with woodworking as a kid, i always hung around the carpenter who my parents hired to do work on our house and i built a dory (small row boat) with my grandfather

as i got older didnt really have any interest in it but always watched reno shows and woodworking shows.. i was always into doing physical things and drawing.. my plan in high school was to pursue a career in art by moving to the states and continue playing volleyball.. but a knee injurey put a hamper on that and i realized i mentally couldnt handle sitting at a drafting table for 18 hrs a day 6 days a week..

after 4 years of working at remedial jobs and living paycheque to paycheque scraping by i opted to go into trade school for carpentery.. didnt realize how much i would love it.. it fulfills my need for creativity and physical stuff at the same time

·
Registered
965 Posts
Let's see, I worked in a factory and lost that job.

Worked in an office setting got fired due to personal clashes with co workers.

Got a job with a contractor worked there for almost a year and now I'm doing day labour for whoever I can find.

So yeah, it's the one thing where I can't step on anyone's toes. No matter what I do I always end up on a roof, or tearing wet dry wall out of some house.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Let's see, I worked in a factory and lost that job.

Worked in an office setting got fired due to personal clashes with co workers.

Got a job with a contractor worked there for almost a year and now I'm doing day labour for whoever I can find.

So yeah, it's the one thing where I can't step on anyone's toes. No matter what I do I always end up on a roof, or tearing wet dry wall out of some house.
Just curious. Is that why you titled yourself BucketofSteam?

21 - 40 of 55 Posts