Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what do you guys think ?
Did you have a choice or was it what you were meant to do ?

"Did the construction life choose you, or did you choose the construction life"

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
It chose me, I've been nailing crap together since I was about 5. On my 7th birthday I wanted to build a house for my party. So we built a 4x8 play house in the back yard

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts
My Dad started out in drywall at 15 working for his Brother and brother-n-law in the early 60s.. Those 3 guys created a whole family tree of drywallers ...I have relatives in 7 states of the union that do drywall all because of my uncles that started off in Florida in the 50s..

It's in my blood! Sometimes I hate It!....But most Times I love It! :laughing: I don't know nothing else..And It's too late to learn something new. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
ive always had an engineering type of mind.....I also really like poop...so becoming a plumber was an obvious choice

best decision I ever made
I have a good friend who is a plumber.
His cards say " Don't ***** call Mitch"
"Your ****z my bread and butter"

·
Punching above his weight
11,426 Posts
Sort of fell into it. It met my requirements:

Changing environments
Rotating cast of characters
Some physical aspect
Critical thinking to get you where you need to be but a reliance on hand-eye coordination to accomplish the task
Most importantly, unlike virtually every other job I've had, if the power goes out my work still exists.

·
Registered
14,381 Posts
When I was a kid I built a tree house, got in trouble because it wasn't on our property . Lol. I was always taking things apart and rebuilding them. I worked with Dad but it was definitely in the blood.

·
Registered
210 Posts
My dad made a living with his hands as a plumber, welder, mason and home builder. I grew up on his Job sites as a kid. I mentioned it in another thread, but my dad built our house in NZ, we lived across the street while he built it and I spent a lot of time there as it was just across the street. I can also say that the first time I hit my finger with a hammer was when I was helping dad build our new house...If hammering a nail in an pc of scrap counts as building :)

·
Registered
568 Posts
It chose me, there have been a couple generations of carpenters of one sort or another in the family. Spent most of my childhood either tearing things apart or out in the woods building "forts" from tree branches.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It chose me, and I responded . I feel so much better producing something . Figuring things out, customizing , and leaving a signature . I love the fact that you are able to do things perfectly and go to bed at night knowing it's been done right . Also , being able to give it 110% and it pay off financially . In the great words of Aaron tippon , a working man's PHD.

·
Registered
797 Posts
My dad was a construction worker and a furniture maker. It gave me a love for wood and building. I used to work on boats as a young gal. I fell in love. Married. Had two kids. Home schooled them while running an art studio for the town low income kids. My own two children decided to try public school. I cold-called a cabinet maker and asked him to give me a shot at an entry level job in his shop and he did. The rest is history.

·
Lazy Millennial
Carpenter
4,022 Posts
I wanted to get into journalism or photography. I also excelled at computer technology but one day I helped a friend's crew rip up a roof off and found I enjoyed it. Years later I found myself with a welding ticket and no work, I took a framing labour job to get by and I enjoyed the work.

I never intended to get into the trades but it just kind of happened.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It must have chose me, because I have never wanted to do anything els. Walking onto a job site is like coming home to me. My father was a contractor in Florida for 25-30 years I have 3 brothers and a 4 of us chose the construction field. It's pretty cool to think that any given day that we are all dealing with the same sh*t lol

1 - 20 of 55 Posts