Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Looks like somone is on to him. Now if the court system would do there job and bring justice. That would be a miracle!

·
Registered
254 Posts
"http://magazine.angieslist.com/Articles/2009/September/NATIONAL/contractor-licensing.aspx

Nancy Fantetti
I read the article about Allison Sacks from Philadelphia being taken by the unlicensed contractor. I’m in the same boat right now. [A contractor] put a 24 by 22 foot addition on my home. I had to keep paying him to get the work done, and he took me for thousands of dollars. It turned out, he wasn’t even licensed. It was my job to check into his license, but I was trusting. I, too, have become a much better consumer. 10/8/2009 4:49:33 PM "

Apparently there was nothing wrong with this guy's work, the woman in question simply objected to paying for work, which makes sense as she's trolling Craigslist looking for a room addition at below market rates.

This unlicensed contractor should have had the proper license, but the real story here not too different than some of the contractors on this site who discovered they lacked the proper license or lacked the funds to finish the job.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Zinsco;848728 Apparently there was [B said:
nothing wrong[/B] with this guy's work, the woman in question simply objected to paying for work, which makes sense as she's trolling Craigslist looking for a room addition at below market rates.
Zinsco,

What maybe happening is extortion on part of the homeowner.

This broad may have gone to the state of Michigan website to see if this guy was licensed before she hired him.

She may have threatened to turn him to face thousands in fines unless
he "came down in price"

·
EVIL GENIUS
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Zinsco,

What maybe happening is extortion on part of the homeowner.

This broad may have gone to the state of Michigan website to see if this guy was licensed before she hired him.

She may have threatened to turn him to face thousands in fines unless
he "came down in price"
That may be why she hired him in the first place. She thought she hit the jackpot.

I did some electrical work on a house and the HO was standing there talking to me. I guess he lost his job and charges $25hr doing construction work. He said I dont have a license or anything but I just charge 25 a hour. He said hes got more work then he can handle. He said he would send some work my way but so far I havent seen any. Its been almost a year now.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
That may be why she hired him in the first place. She thought she hit the jackpot.

I did some electrical work on a house and the HO was standing there talking to me. I guess he lost his job and charges $25hr doing construction work. He said I dont have a license or anything but I just charge 25 a hour. He said hes got more work then he can handle. He said he would send some work my way but so far I havent seen any. Its been almost a year now.
Yes, it's one of the oldest gags in the book here in Michiana.

MI has bizarre contracting licensing requirements. Part of the intent of the laws was to keep out the out of state legit contractors.

I'm about 15 minutes from the Michigan border. We still get quite a few calls from MI HO's. We just tell them we can't help them.

·
EVIL GENIUS
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

MI has bizarre contracting licensing requirements. Part of the intent of the laws was to keep out the out of state legit contractors.

I'm about 15 minutes from the Michigan border. We still get quite a few calls from MI HO's. We just tell them we can't help them.
You could send them my way. :thumbsup:

·
Grand Rapids Remodeling
3,115 Posts

Send 'em my way to. Never have enough work in this state.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts